Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are forward controls better than mid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM
boduke883
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just your preference. I had mids for a day then I opted for the forwards. I'm 6'3 so I needed something stretched out. I do sometimes get little cramps on my legs if I'm stretched out for a long time so I just use my passenger pegs for a different riding position.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swansea Jack
I like the look of forward - always look cool to me. Need some help here. Thanks guys.
The point of them is to make the bike fit you better not to look cool LOL

Old 07-08-2011, 02:02 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
Mids and highway pegs here. Wouldn't have it any other way. I like the control mids offer in the bends and on long stretches I frequently alternate between the forward pegs, the mids, and the passenger pegs. Having three places to put you feet is nice.
+1..use all three.
also moved my shifter up to allow shifting with my heel.
you can also brake with your heel..
easy riding , this is good ,however in the twisties/traffic , i use the mids.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I tried mids and absolutely, 100% hated them. Constantly hitting the pegs with my legs and getting the hem of my pants caught on them. I'm 6'. I would love to try rear-sets, but that's not gonna happen for a while.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 07-09-2011 at 07:51 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6'1" and made the switch a couple months ago. Overall I'm happy with them. They feel natural to me. Not tripping over the pegs when stopping and taking off is nice. My pants would get caught up often as well.

My *** does cramp sooner than with mids though. Looks like the stock seat is the next thing to go.

Last edited by DizWolf; 07-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Swansea Jack
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nubz
The point of them is to make the bike fit you better not to look cool LOL
Oh yeah. sorry I want a better fit.........but can I look a bit cool as well please?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Depends how you define "better." Do forwards offer as much control over the bike? Not even close. Do forwards look better? To some people, but not to others. Are forwards more comfortable? On some bikes, to some people, but they do put a LOT more pressure on your spine, and will cause back problems over time (There are several people on this forum who will attest to the fact that I talked them into switching to mid controls, and they are now much more comfortable, as the back no longer hurts.). Can you ride as long with forwards? Hell, no. Unless, of course, you are a masochist.

Shifting and braking will be somewhat different, but you will get used to it quickly. Whether your pipes have to come off depends on what pipes you have, and what forwards you are putting on, but there is a pretty good chance that you will. The Screaming Eagle (Heavy Breather) does not get in the way. Whether you will regret the decision is something only you can decide. How do you ride? What do you ride? Have you made comfort adjustments to it (better seat, suspension, etc)? I've had both, and both can be wonderful as long as you recognize the shortcomings of each type of foot control. A better option, IMO, is to put highway pegs on. This allows you the advantages of both, but YMMV. I'm 6'0", and very comfortable with the stock mids.
This guy knows what he is talking about, I totally agree.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 PM
IronBoy883
Road Captain

It is really a matter of opinion ... my iron came with mid controls and I kept them for about a year, recently I put on forward controls and I love them ! They are much more comfortable imo and I am only 5ft 9, also they are much better when riding 2 -up ! The riding position also looks better imo compared to the standard mid controls but you really have to try it as one guy may love mid controls and another hate them ! good luck

Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

you also need to take into account the type of handlebars you want installed on your bike... let's say you ride with apes/mini apes.. then forward controls can be a nice alternative... now, imagine you are 5'5'' and want short drag bars with little pullback... with forwards you'll look like a banana and you'll be in pain after 50 miles... it's a matter of ergonomics.. .

Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
-Scarlett-
6th Gear

Love my forward controls. Wouldn't have them any other way. However I agree with all the good points about height, comfort, visual preference, and functionality with shifting and braking. 2010 Iron with forwards. Fits and looks nice with my V & H shortshots. Super comfortable. I'm 5' 10" and I'd feel cramped on my bike with mids. A bigger bike might be a different story...

Quick Reply: Are forward controls better than mid?