Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883 - Questions on exhaust and guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
melchue
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iron 883 - Questions on exhaust and guards

Hi,

I'll be collecting my Iron 883 soon and have a couple of questions, hope you can help me out.

1. I'm considering between V&H Shortshots Staggered exhaust vs the V&H Twin Slash slip-on, which is better, softer/louder, do they required any fuel mixture adjustments?

2. Guards/protection - Anybody tried to install sliders? For the front fork, rear axle, handle bar ends, etc? I know that's mainly for street/sport bikes but i like to try out, i find that the standard engine guards are too huge.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not heard the V&H Twin Slash slip-on in person. I do have the short Shots with the quiet baffles on my Nightster. They certainly pack a punch when you get on it, but aren't all that bad if you are cruising along or idling. The quiet baffles don't really make them a whole lot quieter (3db?), but they lower the tone a bit taking out some of the drag pipe bite. They also give back some of the back pressure lost with the original high flow baffles. I'm really happy with them overall. The fit and finish is excellent! I'm willing to bet the Twin Slashes may be a little quieter yet due to the pipe being longer, and having somewhat of a muffler on the end. They also have a quiet baffle option.
As long as you don't change your air intake there is no fuel injection tuning needed. The ECM can compensate for just an exhaust. If you don't have any more air coming in, then the fuel injectors don't require any additional fuel. I just put my stock air cleaner back on and it runs like a champ with no other changes. An intake will add a nice little bit of power as well as cosmetics, but tuning will be required, and that can get expensive quick if you want to do it right.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 PM
melchue
3rd Gear

Thanks for the info.
I forgot to also compare it with the Screaming Eagles slip-on, any feedback on that?
I looking for the typical Harley tone, but nothing thunderous or annoying.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 AM
harvema
Cruiser

what mwegryn said, i have the slash cuts, they sound really harsh when you first put em on, but once you wrap the baffle [or get the quiet baffles] they seem to mellow out, less high freq i think, so they dont sound quite so harsh. When i first put them on my bike i didn't have the ViEDs on at the time, and had a dead spot in the torque curve, once i put them back on it was fine, dont know if that was the stock computer "learning" or the ViEDs.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:56 AM
poisonthesteve
Tourer

my sportster came with the screamin' eagle II exhausts and it has that "typical" Harley rumble to it. that was one of the main reasons I love my bike so much, cuz people know it's a Harley when they hear it. so those are always a good option

Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
melchue
3rd Gear

Thanks for all the infor again.

How about engine/frame guards, are there less conspicuous ones that are available?
I find the standard engine guards available from HD too bulky, and it's spoils the overall slick look of the sportster.