Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy mod to build confidence?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 05:07 PM
jonny ebola
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy mod to build confidence?

When I hear "HArleys are always in the shop" I figure it cuz some jerk f'd up his mods. I wanna start modding but if I start f'n up, my wife is gonna say "I TOLD YOU SO!" I haven't done anything to my 06 custom, but I really wanna do drag bars and V&H shortshots staggered. Can I do the bars (short risers) with no other crap (cables, etc.)? Is the exhaust easier? This is the first bike I ever wanted to mod. The metrics were just crappy learner bikes. thanks

Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior
Default RE: easy mod to build confidence?

My exhuast were done at the dealer before I took it home. The bars were easy to do. Good luck

Old 11-05-2006, 07:20 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exhaust is the easiest mod that you mentioned. Maybe do an air filter mod with that, and you are set. Go for it, you can do it, I know it....It's just nuts and bolts...

Old 11-05-2006, 07:22 PM
1stGenRex
Advanced

the 1st thing i did was change the grips, switch housings and switch covers...fairly easy...do yourself a favor and pick up an FSM if you havent already

Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 PM
jonny ebola
Road Captain

Yeah I have the service manual, the fixmyhog dvd, and a 3rd party manual on common fixes. I just havent done any of it yet

Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 PM
brauny1
Road Master

If you've been on this forum long, you know theres tons of information here. I've had my 1200 custom since 2000 and I'm still not done but it's been a fun ride (not pun intended). For performance, sound and looks would be the exhaust. Handle bars for comfort and looks. Intake and re-jet for performance. Crome for looks, Etc., etc., etc... Have fun and ride safe!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:00 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Sure you will find a lot of info in this forum. I bought my 06 sporty in this September, I am currently working on some mod like handlebar and stuff. My tip of the day is, before you start any mod, try to think what you want to do and what may happen. I know some people just order parts online or ebay and hope they will fit and look good on their bike, it turns out to be overstocking a bunch of extra parts at home(like my buddy lol). Get yourself a service manual to begin with, you can do it man, it isn't rocket science.

Alex [X(]

Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say go for it,if you can't handle exhaust and handlebars you will know your limitations before you really FU.Not saying you will FU but that is easy stuff compared to engine or trans work.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:01 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as long as you have the right tools, it's as easy as turning the fastners to the left, and then remembering where to put them before turning them back to the right. Both bars and exhaust are easy mods. Just be careful with the throttle cable when replacing the bars and you'll be fine. Do grips then and you'll get a 2-for-1 mod special.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try it yourself first. Most dealers love charging to fix something screwed up by a customer. Why don't you try something simple like mirrors or maybe lights something you can still ride if it ain't right. Pipes may require jetting which just might be over your head. Bars might trquire cable changing which , sorry, but might just be a tad more.

Quick Reply: easy mod to build confidence?