Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with this "Girl Bike" stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt1080
Alright so new Harley owner here and am confused about this one. Bought the bike like a week ago and have been into harley 4 times so far for parts etc and 2 times when I was waiting on help or parts or wahtever ive had small talk with other customers and it always comes up "what bike do you have" and both times I got the "oh thats a girls bike, or a small bike" like it shitty or something? Why are so many harley guys looking down on this bike? I totally dont get it. Im mainly a car guy and buy a new one at least once a year do it up then sell it got bored early this year and bought a harley. Now I went to the dealership to buy a bike had no idea what one I wanted and didnt care what the price of it was. I went with the iron because of the classic iconic look of it and the matte black. Wanted a little bigger motor but thats being corrected with the 1200 kit. Whats with these guys I really dont get it. I kinda think of it like why would you want such a big clunky bike? Whats everyones opinion on this im new so maybe im missing something.
First for many bikers there is no other bike to own but a Harley. They will call other bikes rice burners and other names of derision.

Next you need to look at the historical content of the subject. Not counting the Americchi(sp) crap that the MOCO tried to pass off as Harley's. The bike to have was always the big twin 74/80, the 45 aka 750 small twin was not held in as high esteem.

Harley has since evolved into four product lines. Sportster, Dyna, Softail, Touring. And it has been only natural to extend bike family preference and loyalty just as they put Harley ahead of other bike company's.

So whether sportsters are called girls bikes, softails poser bikes, touring geezer glide/rolling sofas, it's just likey the speaker likes dynas the best. Which they are.

It's a little teasing, joking, busting *****, kidding around not to be taken seriously.

By the way with so many women riding softail deluxes now I guess that Harley is making a dual sport bike.

It's a girls bike and a poser bike.

Last edited by 32vld; 06-24-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser

I get people calling my bike a "Baby Harley" vs a "Girls Bike"..

I'm OK with that.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:53 AM
ranger50
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havent had anyone say to me that my sportie is a girly bike. And Mine is purple! Personaly I wouldn't care if anyone said that. I do get a lot of compliments on my bike, and from men and woman who ride many different styles, and makes of bikes. If someone says a sportster is a girls bike, then look at the source. The sportster has been H.D.'s bread and buttter longer than any other model. Without the sportster being there in H.D.'s history..., then H.D. may not be the HD we have today.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 AM
frenzy.1973
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get the comment ... girls bike ...
I thought that the sporty is the longest running HD. It should have praise and respect.

By the way, among younger people, the sportser is very popular. Not only because of it's price range, but because of the looks and the sensation of riding a sporty. They like it hard and agressive. Most of my friends think it's the other way around. They laugh with those guys, who feel the need to ride a poser bike/boat and think that they're really cool. We have a name for that over here and it refers to a little P...s

Girls bike, my *** ... Never heard the comment to my face, but saw it a couple of times online. Honestly I don't care and feel great riding the Iron. Last time during a ride with some other HD drivers, I had to stop and wait a couple of times on the poserbikers

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back when I had a Sportster I rode with a club and got the girl bike BS all the time because everyone else was on FXR's and Dynas. After a few wheelies and blowing them away while getting on the freeway all the talk stopped. A 1200 Sporty with a little bit of work is one damn quick scooter. Don't sweat what other people say, most folks are ********.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There will always be guys who put your stuff down to make themselves feel better.

~Joe

Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In and around where I live, I see way more girls on H-D bikes then any other brand. Does that make all H-D's girl's bikes.............I think not, ride what you want to ride and be happy.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
fast2live
Tourer

Ive never had it said to me.....and my frame is purple. If anything people ask more about it being a rigid. The way i see it is im not a big guy...5ft6 170lbs....my bike fits me perfectly. Combine that with the fact that with me on the bike it still weighs less than 650lbs so its pretty quick even with the mostly stock 883. If i feel the need for more than that ill look at the 1200 conversion kits. Ive honestly never wanted anything bigger.

Last edited by fast2live; 06-24-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM
gravitystrykes
Intermediate

I guessmy stance on owning a sportster is that I don't need to over compensate myself with a big bike! I bench over 300lbs and have a 9" ***** I'm doin just fine in the man department! Hahahaha

Old 06-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Garandman
Tourer

Originally Posted by 32vld
...By the way with so many women riding softail deluxes now I guess that Harley is making a dual sport bike. It's a girls bike and a poser bike.
Never heard that one before! Good one!

I say I have a "Roadster." Most chrome barge pilots don't know what that is. While they ponder, I get the GF's digits....

Last edited by Garandman; 06-24-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Whats with this "Girl Bike" stuff?