Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about pipes (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:59 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Question about pipes (2007)

ORIGINAL: drumer66

You can opt to have the baffles removed from the pipes you have now..... for the easiest and cost effective move.... not much improvment in performance though....and then if the EPA ever get strict...you have nothing to put back on .....and you'll have to shell out another 400 bucks or more just to get another set of originals....
$400+ dollars for a set of 'original mufflers'?

You can find original 04+ 883/1200 mufflers all day long for $100 or less.

True, there aren't as many '07 stock mufflers out there yet (with the 02 sensors), but I'm sure there will be as soon as owners start putting on aftermarket systems.

If not you could always install the sensors on earlier model mufflers, as it's not big of a deal.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:08 AM
CHASE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that you have many different suggestions/opinions, I will give you my 2 cents worth. 1st, the 07s run very lean from the factory, and if you do a plug check, they will be almost completely white, this is normal from what I have been told by HD. 2nd you can change slip on mufflers, with no remap required. The crossover on your exhust keeps the backpressure up to where it will run fine. 3rd, I drilled out my baffles and my bike ran fine, just a little popping on decel every now and then, and it ran cooler, and we all know, a cooler motor, makes more horsepower, and torque. Now with all that said, If you change your A/C, you will need to do a Stage 1 upgrade download. this adjusts your air/fuel ratio, also, not sure about this one, I believe your timing. If you are not going to do any major adjustments to your bike(other than exhust and A/c) a Stage 1 download will be just fine for your bike. But if you are going to do major engine work(mods) then you need to go with a race tuner(SERT, PC III). However, you do not need to get the HD download, and a race tuner, unles you do the Stage 1 first, and then decide later, to do other mods. But if you think you will ever do engine mods, then save a little $ and get the tuner.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 AM
sarahcat
Stage IV
Default Question about pipes (2006)

Hi, just joined the forum (will go into that elsewhere), but I found Screamin' Eagle II slip-ons and on the advice of many, I also purchased the DynoJet kit and the Stage I air cleaner. I want to get them installed on my '06 Sportster XL1200C and I do have a friend who is an experienced H-D rider, customizer and chopper builder. His only concern is how difficult it will be to hack into the carburettor to re-jet. He's guessing that it's going to be about 2 to 3 hours for the whole job, most of it with the carb.

Does this sound reasonable and is the re-jetting particularly difficult? Also, is there any on-line documentation on installing new mufflers and re-jetting for my bike and also my friend's carburetted '05 Dyna?

Thanks!
SarahCat[&:]

Old 12-29-2006, 10:47 AM
sarahcat
Stage IV
Default Question about pipes (2006)

Hi, just joined the forum (will go into that elsewhere), but I found Screamin' Eagle II slip-ons and on the advice of many, I also purchased the DynoJet kit and the Stage I air cleaner. I want to get them installed on my '06 Sportster XL1200C and I do have a friend who is an experienced H-D rider, customizer and chopper builder. His only concern is how difficult it will be to hack into the carburettor to re-jet. He's guessing that it's going to be about 2 to 3 hours for the whole job, most of it with the carb.

Does this sound reasonable and is the re-jetting particularly difficult? Also, is there any on-line documentation on installing new mufflers and re-jetting for my bike and also my friend's carburetted '05 Dyna?

Thanks!
SarahCat[&:]

Old 12-29-2006, 11:02 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Vance and Hines told me they won't have some of their pipes available till mid-Spring/Summer.
I was mainly looking at the Sideshots that they have for the XL.

Sucks huh?

Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM
CH47Hooker
Cruiser

Check here http://www.paughco.com/2003_catalog/page317.htm

I got the "Shotgun drags" on my '06. They may have stuff for '07.

I'm VERY satisfied with them. Triple chromed, bolted right on with no fit/lineup issues. Uses factory heat shields and clamps. Very LOUUUUUUUUUUD.[sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 12-29-2006, 10:18 PM
sportylow07
Intermediate

i have an 07 1200l , and the V&H shortshots . just had them installed a few weeks ago. I did get the stage 1 but the service mngr at my dealer said the stage 1 was not necesary, but would make the performance better and it would run smoother. ( he didn't even push for me to get it) but i did anyway , and i'm impressed with the extra power and everything about it all. see other post, someone started...got /installed V&H shortshots. re: prices. good luck

Old 12-29-2006, 11:21 PM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Saint5150

The day after I picked up my 07 XL1200C I ran into a guy who has an 06 XL1200C with V&H staggered short shots. They sound and look GREAT!!! Definitely getting a pair for next year!! I think remapping is needed unless the fuel/air ratio is the same with the new pipes not 100% sure though... Anyone know for sure?
Remapping is NOT needed for a pipe change See your current Enthusiast magazine and read the article about the SE pipes for 2007. You can also review the forum and search for several articles from the MoCo that note that remapping is only required after a pipe AND performance air cleaner are added. Also, options exist that do not require remapping (a dealer job) such as the SERF or FuelPak.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:40 PM
TommyGhee
Stage III

I just installed V&H short shots staggered last night on my 07. They are very loud (in a good way). Paid 260 shipped off of ebay for em brand new. Picture is kinda crappy but you get the idea.
I plan to get the V&H fuelpak for it to save a trip to the dealer, and for when I get my stage 1 air intake.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 AM
agedwards63
Road Master

The pipes look good (heck the whole bike looks good in the yellow and black) anyone put them on with the mid-controls? and would this be a good idea for a newbie? (my gal) I am concerned she might melt her boots on the pipes being that close

Quick Reply: Question about pipes (2007)