Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about pipes (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:06 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question about pipes (2007)

Thanks... i just came back from HD where i saw a bike (wasnt a sportster) that had V&H pipes... kinda like the short shot but the pipes pointed down at the end of em... they were pretty cool too... dont know if they make them for the sportster though... anyway, I'm starting to think V&H pipes are in my future...

Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM
toadster
6th Gear

I think those pipes are called sideshots. And they are available for sportsters.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Andy883R
Cruiser

You can buy any slip on for 04-06 and it will fit, but not to many people make full exhuast yet. But any Slip on muffler will work. Or you can always remove the baffles in the stock pipes. We did it on my buddies 07 custom

Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

i put cycle shack baloney cut slip ons on my 06 1200c. i ran lean immediately. plugs turned white. i went ahead and rejetted and changed the a/c. runs great, but pukes oil.. always something!! imho i would change everything at once and get immediate results.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Saint5150
Novice

The day after I picked up my 07 XL1200C I ran into a guy who has an 06 XL1200C with V&H staggered short shots. They sound and look GREAT!!! Definitely getting a pair for next year!! I think remapping is needed unless the fuel/air ratio is the same with the new pipes not 100% sure though... Anyone know for sure?

Old 12-02-2006, 09:34 PM
oldskoolyungblud
Advanced

Unless you do something to increase the flow on the intake side you shouldn't need a remap. If you change only the pipes, the only thing that will change is the sound the bike makes. I couldn't find any pipes for my '07 883r, so I drilled the baffles and it sounds awesome. No remap needed. My pipes are basically drag pipes now.

Old 12-02-2006, 09:44 PM
randy78045
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldskoolyungblud

Unless you do something to increase the flow on the intake side you shouldn't need a remap. If you change only the pipes, the only thing that will change is the sound the bike makes. I couldn't find any pipes for my '07 883r, so I drilled the baffles and it sounds awesome. No remap needed. My pipes are basically drag pipes now.
This is exactly what im hearin from people, and absolutely opposite what harley davidson dealership is tellin me... [&:]

Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM
sportin_2007
Tourer

Randy,

Truth be known, not many dealers know too much about the 07 EFI bikes and what can be done to bikes with 02 sensors as of yet. I have spoken in great depth with a couple of expert HD race tuners, and a couple of old school mechanics that love to push the limits of a Sportster, and here is what can truly be said.

If you go to Drag Pipes just for the look and sound of things, you'll be running an unbalanced system with more flow through than input (i.e. Intake Size) and the bike will likely fart and puke. If you're only after sound, then Screamin Eagle slip on or Vance & Hines Straight Shot slip on pipes will do you just fine. This retains the flow somewhat and gives you the loudness one might be after.

If on the other hand your quest is for added “performance” and “sound”, then a complete Stage 1 upgrade is recommended and this includes a high flow air breather (i.e. HD # 29782-07 EFI Kit) a good exhaust system like slip on pipes or an upgraded header, and a remap of the EFI and Fuel System in order to keep the bike from running lean or hot. When you add the stage 1 upgrade (which some dealers have already done successfully on 07 EFI bikes) you have to flash the electronics on the bike or it will run like a sick dog.

It sounds like to would be also wise to tell you that simply adding drag pipes to a stock bike purely for the looks, is an uncalculated move. Yes they look cool (to most) but the rude awakening is the fact that you will lose the back pressure in the exhaust and that equates to flat spots on acceleration with a drop in raw torque somewhere in the power band. This is a very real fact my friend, and is just like adding a set of Hooker Super Comp 1-3/4" headers to a stock small block 350 that doesn't have the throughput to support such an open exhaust setup. It will make the engine drop off like it lost a few cylinders when you hit that flat spot, and trust me it will be there.

In order to justify open drag pipes such as those short shots, and cobra dragsters, you’re going to need an intake upgrade and a remap to complete the offering. Even then I would suggest you stick to the slip on pipes. They will keep some of the required back pressure and you will retain that 07 like smile on your face.

I tell you this only because I have spent exhaustive hours researching upgrades for my 07 XL50 and my bike is undergoing a complete hi performance upgrade on Wednesday of next week. Since my dealer has only performed a stage 1 upgrade of the 2007 bikes to this point, the dealer is making me the stage 2/3 guinea pig, and for that they are going to give me some free dyno time and a larger discount on parts.

Here is what I am doing, and this is still open to debate as we are not totally sure what valve train changes we will really make until we have torn the top end down to see what’s there, and what work the heads can receive. It depends of the chambers in this newer head design, and what type of porting/polishing we can do.

The plan right now is to go beyond the stage 1 upgrade by removing and porting the heads, increasing compression by a ½ point or so with new pistons, adding some high lift cams, roller rockers, push rods, valve springs, and then installing some open drag pipes and a few sessions of race tuning with the bike on the dyno, and a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner hooked up to allow for moderate changes to the timing, and fuel delivery system. This allows you to tweak the bike ever so slightly in each required area and compensates with perfect fuel flow / timing on an EFI equipped bike. Our itinerary is to start with the following formula, and may change to other after market parts pending the outcome of some research I will be doing over the weekend.

SE Stage 1 EFI Kit for 2007
SE EFI Race Tuner Kit (sert)
SE Piston Kit XL1200 / Buell
SE Pro Sportster Cams HO
SE Race Valve Springs
SE Roller Rocker Arms K
SE Lifter Kit / XL/TC8
R&R Top End
R&R

Old 12-03-2006, 12:35 AM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an XL also..... I have the XL 50 ....Anniversary XL......

I've been researching this since i bought the bike back in August.......

My concensus is this....

You can opt to have the baffles removed from the pipes you have now..... for the easiest and cost effective move.... not much improvment in performance though....and then if the EPA ever get strict...you have nothing to put back on .....and you'll have to shell out another 400 bucks or more just to get another set of originals....

i hear that the V&H slips ons are good alternatives..... very repuatable company.... slip ons have the same kinda look.... about 100 bucks cheaper than regualr pipes and no real performance gain....

or V&H has the staggard for "07"s" ...... a slightly higher pitched sound due to the shortness, and not so throaty as the longer pipes out there....and they can be really loud for the passenger as well.....

cycleshack & Bassanis are also great pipes .... Bassani BUB jug huggers are good as well... theses look great.....

everything will be readily available in January and Feburary

regards....

jim D

Old 12-03-2006, 12:42 AM
rharrison
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LAZYBOY

i put cycle shack baloney cut slip ons on my 06 1200c. i ran lean immediately. plugs turned white. i went ahead and rejetted and changed the a/c. runs great, but pukes oil.. always something!! imho i would change everything at once and get immediate results.
The EFI bikes are different! The ECU can make adjustments that normally require changing jets. Please search previous forum topics that have covered this extensively. Short answer is: Changing pipes (slip-ons) requires no remapping or ECU changes. Changing intake (i.e., Screaming Eagle Intake or similar) and adding slip-ons requires (per HD) a remap. I will note that some aftermarket testing shows that the EFI system can handle a full Stage 1 (exhuast and intake) change.

I just purchased the Screaming Eagle Race Fueler for my stage 1 change and will let folks know how it works.

Quick Reply: Question about pipes (2007)