Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer says I need new heads, $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Shadow_otw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude Thats crazy money!

I dont live far from you, and while I havnt done HD head r&r, I have built a bunch of performance autos. Get a manual, and I'll help. I sure we can find other people on the board in our area too. Lets have a wrench party!

PM me and I'll send contact details.

Seriously, thats waaay too much money. They should have done a leak-down comp test in the 1st place!

Last edited by Shadow_otw; 06-22-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: bonehead typing...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Dockholiday72tx
6th Gear

I'm a new guy and don't know very much about harleys yet, but I saw a series of videos (3), where you can send your engine back to the factory and they will completely refurbish it for 2200 over at biker.net
You do what you feel is best in your situation, but if it were mine, I'd tell them to cease work immediately and go pick it up. Then I'd figure out a different avenue to take for your repairs. In spite of my limited knowledge on Harleys, I do know I can get a set of big block Ford heads rebuilt for way less than half of that.... To be honest, I can rebuild the whole big block engine for cheaper than 2000.
I know I might get flamed for being an FNG and speaking up this way, but what the dealership is doing is obscene.
I would actually seriously consider Shadow's offer. You can meet other riders, fix your bike, maybe even throw back a few beers or grill some steaks. It would end up being a good time for every one involved.
Doc

Last edited by Dockholiday72tx; 06-22-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Left out information
Old 06-23-2011, 02:03 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have seen a few post's about the Air Cleaner to Throttle Body screw's coming loose and getting sucked in and bending valves.

I dont think the MOCO even sell's complete heads !

To bend a valve you have to have mechanical contact such as tagging a piston or the screws running through there.

A bent valve will not normally cause a loss of compression of less than 100 %

I would be getting a second opinion

Old 06-23-2011, 07:53 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

$2k!! Thats crazy NRHS and Branch O'Keefe will do head and piston work for much less. Branch's Stage 5 head work gives you all new heads and pistons matched to those upgraded higher compression heads for $950.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dockholiday72tx
I'm a new guy and don't know very much about harleys yet, but I saw a series of videos (3), where you can send your engine back to the factory and they will completely refurbish it for 2200 over at biker.net
You do what you feel is best in your situation, but if it were mine, I'd tell them to cease work immediately and go pick it up. Then I'd figure out a different avenue to take for your repairs. In spite of my limited knowledge on Harleys, I do know I can get a set of big block Ford heads rebuilt for way less than half of that.... To be honest, I can rebuild the whole big block engine for cheaper than 2000.
I know I might get flamed for being an FNG and speaking up this way, but what the dealership is doing is obscene.
I would actually seriously consider Shadow's offer. You can meet other riders, fix your bike, maybe even throw back a few beers or grill some steaks. It would end up being a good time for every one involved.
Doc

The Harley Davidson Engine Re manufacture program is for BT's ONLY and you have to have a dealer remove the motor and send it to them. They then re manufacture it and send it back to the dealer who then puts it back in the bike......You'll be at $2500 - $4200 going that route, NOT including dealer labor charges.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...facturing.html

Old 06-23-2011, 08:10 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

NRHS will sell you NEW Ported heads for $1275 -$1400 depending on which ones you choose.. You can have your heads rebuilt and ported for half that.......

GET BIG VALVES & PREMIUM HARDWARE WITH THE STAGE 2 CNC SERVICE - Starting at $750.00
http://www.nrhsperformance.com/headworkbuell.shtml

Last edited by xFreebirdx; 06-23-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Shadow_otw
Tourer

...it seems you have a consensus.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Default Branch Heads

Originally Posted by AaronG87
$2k!! Thats crazy NRHS and Branch O'Keefe will do head and piston work for much less. Branch's Stage 5 head work gives you all new heads and pistons matched to those upgraded higher compression heads for $950.
Branch will not sell you a set of ported heads outright and complete as well as matching pistons for 950.00 !

I talked to several engine builders including Branch before i had my heads done.

I bought a brand new set of bare heads from Zanotti's and scrounged an SE intake manifold from a dealer in Washington.

NRHS did a Stage III on the heads and ported the intake

I have 1800.00 in the heads and intake right now

Old 06-26-2011, 06:11 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketmangb
Branch will not sell you a set of ported heads outright and complete as well as matching pistons for 950.00 !

I talked to several engine builders including Branch before i had my heads done.

I bought a brand new set of bare heads from Zanotti's and scrounged an SE intake manifold from a dealer in Washington.

NRHS did a Stage III on the heads and ported the intake

I have 1800.00 in the heads and intake right now
Thats what I was quoted from them and is advertised on their website you send them your heads and they will in return send you a set of heads with their #5 bathtub chamber done to it and the matching set of higher compression pistons to go with it.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:08 AM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Default Branch

Originally Posted by AaronG87
Read your post

Quick Reply: Dealer says I need new heads, $$$$$$