Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting without the clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
FlatIron
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifting without the clutch?

I was just curious how bad it is to shift without the clutch when at WOT and banging gears. This is my 1st motorcycle, let alone my 1st Harley. I have been a car guy for a while and i am pretty sure motorcycles do not have syncros like car transmissions. Also cars have Helical cuts gears while motorcycles have straight cut gears,right?

I just ask because yesterday while getting onto the highway i was at WOT and shifted into 3rd without the clutch by mistake, i didn't even notice cause it felt the exact same as shifting with the clutch, i do not plan on doing it regularly, i was just curious if it would damage anything.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM

You shouldn't be able to shift without the clutch at WOT. You should have to unload the transmission by momentarily closing the throttle, then shifting.

However, if you do that, you will not harm the transmission at all. Any competent mechanic will tell you that correctly shifting without the clutch is the best way to shift for the longevity of the vehicle. Other than pulling away from a stop, I can't tell you the last time I used the clutch.

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (12-18-2017)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had my dirt and sport bikes I would shift without the clutch at times, but I never do it on my sportys. Will it hurt them, maybe not, but how hard it is to pull the clutch lever in when shifting? not hard. This is a topic that will have split opions so do what you think is best.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
XTsHOG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a sweet spot which you will feel on the shifter when you shift as long as the rpms are high. Alot Of times I go into 3rd wo the clutch cuz my left boot is on my highway pegs and I use my heel to kick it up. Generally I don't power shift with other gears as the rpms have to b high and I don't think the hd gears would like it being abused. On my first metric bike Id popped the first gear and power shift right thru all power bands if I felt the need for speed. Grant it I'd b doing over 100 in very quick time. I wouldn't dream of doing thSt on my sporty. Lol

Old 06-21-2011, 10:25 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

aw **** here we go again......lol.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Pretty soon you'll get someone suggesting that there are already a dozen threads about this, and you should have done a search. Oh, crud, I guess I just did...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
aw **** here we go again......lol.
It is that time of the month again, isn't it?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
FlatIron
Tourer

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Pretty soon you'll get someone suggesting that there are already a dozen threads about this, and you should have done a search. Oh, crud, I guess I just did...
im sorry i messed up in my description, yes i came off the throttle when shifting, figured that was a give in.
I did use the search but didn't find any threads that really answered my question. Sorry for being a pain in the *** Newb

Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
FlatIron
Tourer

Appreciate the input guys, you have pretty much answered my question.
Thanks

Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by FlatIron
im sorry i messed up in my description, yes i came off the throttle when shifting, figured that was a give in.
I did use the search but didn't find any threads that really answered my question. Sorry for being a pain in the *** Newb
No sweat, I just saw that coming. It was meant entirely tongue-in-cheek and/or self-deprecatingly, really. I forget that these things don't translate well to print/internet very well...

Quick Reply: Shifting without the clutch?