Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

troubleshoot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 11:20 PM
chamba
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default troubleshoot?

My 2007 XL1200C just started feeling a little off. like it was bogging down at acceleration. It was slight but ran a little tough.

Then I let her idle before a morning ride and I heard three putters that were out of the ordinary. I went on the ride and felt it. When I left the house all was good but at first acceleration it felt bogged. Using the torque of first felt like it puttered. im thinking spark. it kept happening into all gears and while cruising I could feel the problem correct itself and give me quick bursts of power. I didn't like it and am sure that the action should be smooth.

person who owned it before me said it was too much bike and it garaged. did I run his old gas through it to cause the, whatever it is... bogging, misfire?
injectors? spark plug?

I'm new to Harley from a Vstar1100. I bought her used from a dear dear friend. she is ready for the 20,000 mile service at the stealers. I would want to take it to them if it is not simply a service issue.
ride on...

Last edited by chamba; 06-20-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master

Fuel Injector cleaner is your friend.

Get some, and run 4oz for about 3 tanks, and see how it runs by the 4th tank full

Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

iy chamba........that sux. hopefully you checked the obvious. i had a similar problem a while back and the bike was only running on 1cylinder and exp. these exact symptoms. low and behold, a plug was disconnected behind my throttle body and voila, bike ran like ****.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM
chamba
Road Master

Thanks guys! Yes I am concerned that I am running on one cylinder.
so I am replacing spark plugs, running fuel injector cleaner(Berrymans, unless ya'll have a reccomendation), and changing fuel filter.
I'll let you know....

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
chamba
Road Master

I got new Harley spark plugs, my old ones were not that bad at all.

I used Screaming eagle octane booster, and no change.

the fuel filter seems to be under the gas tank, but it is my next guess to what is going on.

the troubleshoot to the manual mentioned that a discharged battery could do this too? should I check my cables?

Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

i know there was a problem with the fuel pumps in 07, pretty sure it resulted in recall but not certain of that. did you make sure of the obvious? no loose connectors anywhere? friend of mine was having issues starting his 07 and after spending some time and money turned out to be a loose connection somewhere. guess i have to assume the battery is good if you can start the bike and ride, just sputtering. check connections, can't stress that enough.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it hesitating after it is warmed up? If it is doing it when it is warming up, then that is pretty much normal. If it is doing it after it is warmed up, it may need a tuner. Is it still stock?

Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
chamba
Road Master

Originally Posted by bmxatv
check connections, can't stress that enough.
I am wondering... after replacing the battery.... was the drained battery problem a different electrical issue, since the battery went to a full charge with no issues and the bike starts up strong. it seems that connections could be my issue.
I think octane booster, possible fuel pump and/or filter, and connections check and re-check should get me there.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

^^^how'd you make out chamba?

Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM
chamba
Road Master

the octane booster went in, then the problem got a little worse....
now that I have reved it up in the garage I think it spit out the problem cause Im back on the road. I still need my 20,000 mile service as the forks squeak when I first sit, and a few other minors, but I am soooo happy that the octane booster did some help.
I think I got it, but I am still working on the bike. Thanks for checking in on me.

Quick Reply: troubleshoot?