Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storage for the winter suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 04:31 PM
dr_trousers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage for the winter suggestions

It's my first winter putting the bike in storage. I am sure there are other threads related to this, but I wanted to get Sporty's advice. I am putting it in a large garage with heat but will not have access to it over the winter. I know I should take out the battery out and use gas stabalizer as well as run the gas out of the gas line. What else?

Old 11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Shadofaxx
Tourer
Default RE: Storage for the winter suggestions

There are tons of threads on this, even Sportster specific, so you should do some searching.

General concensus for winter (good you have heat):

Fill tank, use Sta-bil. Run briefly to circulate.

Battery tender would still probably be a good idea but I am not sure if your garage is heated. You should not have to remove battery unless you want to.

Most people seem to recommend fluid change before storage but there is a debate about this.

Some also suggest you get tires up off concrete, but also a debated issue.

Breathable cover.

Kiss 'er goodnight for that long winter nap ...

Old 11-03-2006, 05:51 PM
rbcss
Tourer

I would still keep a battery tender on the battery, keeping a full charge would help the life of the battery. I also would change the oil, your old oil would have impurities, acids and moisture from running through the summer. I for one wouldn't what to keep that old oil in my bike all winter long.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Definitely keep the battery on a Battery Tender to prevent sulfation, whether or not your storage area is heated.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:01 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone wrap their bike up in blankets for the winter? Or would a light cycle cover be more than enough for winter storage? I'm not sure how blankets would help over the cold months, just something I've heard of people doing.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd skip the blankets and use a breathable cycle cover to minimize condensation...

Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 PM
robbinson
Advanced

This is my first winter with my bike. I'm planning to take it for a 1/2 hour ride at least once a week (barring snow!). Other than that, I'm planning to put a piece of carpet remnant under the bike and use my battery tender and keep it under a cotton bike cover in my garage (not heated - but adjoining the house - where my cars are). I purchased the gas tank stablizer, but don't intend to use it unless it becomes clear that the bike really will sit unused for extended periods of time.

Regards.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Craze
Advanced

We plan on keeping our Softails in heated part of garage. An old timer told me a little stabilizer in your tank is a good thing , even in the summer he said he puts a half a can in one tank full. So even if you plan on riding it once a week it still wouldn't hurt anything to put some in. The heated part of the garage already has carpet and we will put breathable covers over them. This room is where we smoke and we dont want all that tar to get on the bikes. We are also going to use battery tenders. Can one tender be modified to tend two batteries? My wife only has 1600 mi on her bike , fluids were changed at the 1000 mi service so she should be ok for the winter I would think.
I will probably ride on a few nice days this winter. Anything above 40 and sunshine.
Craze

Old 11-03-2006, 10:43 PM
humpyy57
Tourer

Why put it away Ride it like you stole it all winter

Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think blankets are a good idea. They can draw and absorb moisture. Better is a good plastic or nylon cover with breathers.

Quick Reply: Storage for the winter suggestions