Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here, looking to get an Iron...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 10:07 AM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New guy here, looking to get an Iron...

Hey everyone, i've been browsing around for about a month or so now on here, and i have to say i'm pretty pumped to be getting onto a Harley. The things some of you guys have done with your bikes is amazing!

I currently have an 09 R1, but i'm looking for something a bit more comfy...please tell me the Iron will at least be that ha. I know it's going to seem slow. But i think i'm ready to slow down a little so i'm ok with that.

My first question, one of many i'm sure...and i know you have all read it a million times before on here..What should i be looking to pay right now for an 883? I know it varries depending on the bike.

Currently there are three i'm looking at...

Bike 1:
2010 Iron 883
2,400 miles
Vance and Hines Short Shots
Forward Controls
SE Intake
Passanger Pegs
Priced at $8,999 (high in my opinion) At a car dealership..

Bike 2
2009 Iron 883
4,050 Miles
short shot staggered exhaust
chrome bolt accessory set
screaming eagle breather
forward controls
solo seat and badlander seat
Priced at $8,000 (private sale on craigslist)

2010 Iron 883
1173 miles
Vance and Hines Slip Ons
Priced on craigslist $7,500

I want forward controls, the black Vance and hines pipes and intake or breather of some sort. and would also have to have passanger pegs and seat eventually. In your opinion what should i be looking to spend? I know the choice is mine, and it has to be something i like, i'm just curious to see what others have gotten. Wow this was long...hope you all had plenty of time!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 AM
warrick
Banned

Woo-hoo, another Iowan!

I always look around locally, have seen those bikes you posted on CL (2 of em). Try and talk them down on #2, seems like the stuff you want. They have a new one at route 65 HD, been there for a while, has apes on it.

Where you at in Iowa? Going to Indianola tonight?

I have an 09 Iron.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Save your money and by a 1200 Sportster instead of the Iron. You'll be glad in the long run....

Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate

Originally Posted by warrick
Woo-hoo, another Iowan!

I always look around locally, have seen those bikes you posted on CL (2 of em). Try and talk them down on #2, seems like the stuff you want. They have a new one at route 65 HD, been there for a while, has apes on it.

Where you at in Iowa? Going to Indianola tonight?

I have an 09 Iron.
Hey! Good to see another Iowan, I'm guessing there will be a few more Iowans on this board vs the R1 Forum i was a member of ha.

I was thinking about shooting the guy an offer for the #2 I'd like to add all that anyways so if i can get it already done then why not!

I would be heading down that way but I'm supposed to be heading out of town...We will see though, I could take the R1 down, but not sure the drive from Grimes, in the dark/possible rain would be a good call ha. Where are you from?! Liking the Iron?! I called Route 65 and the Iron they have in is the Yellow right? I'm thinking i gotta have black! I did see they had a Black and Silver nightster with Apes. I haven't 'decided if i like those or not...

Old 06-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Hooah09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could spend only an extra grand or two and buy a new 2012 model in a month! Then you'd be able to experience the joy of modifying your bike yourself. (And rumor has it that it may also have a 6-speed transmission!) And if you ever want to upgrade to a 1200, just buy the kit--only $1500 or so for parts and installation.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own an Iron but an 2002 883 (same engine size). If I may recommend the first of the Irons you listed with the Vance and Hines Short Shots and the complete stage 1 and forward controls. I don't know how tall you are but being 6' myself, I find the forward controls to be a must for comfort. Also, the Short Shots will make you happy because there is nothing like a full exhaust system. Because it has Stage 1 and is the most recent of the three bikes, seems to be a good deal to me.

My 2 cents !

Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM
warrick
Banned

Originally Posted by HD Or Bust
Hey! Good to see another Iowan, I'm guessing there will be a few more Iowans on this board vs the R1 Forum i was a member of ha.

I was thinking about shooting the guy an offer for the #2 I'd like to add all that anyways so if i can get it already done then why not!

I would be heading down that way but I'm supposed to be heading out of town...We will see though, I could take the R1 down, but not sure the drive from Grimes, in the dark/possible rain would be a good call ha. Where are you from?! Liking the Iron?! I called Route 65 and the Iron they have in is the Yellow right? I'm thinking i gotta have black! I did see they had a Black and Silver nightster with Apes. I haven't 'decided if i like those or not...

Yeah , I love the bike, have the short shots, SE Stage1, highway pegs, drag bars, 48 speedo set up, few other blacked out features. I saw a Black Denim Iron there just the other day with apes.

I am from Pleasantville (just a bit east of I-town). I do see the forecast has taken an ugly turn for this afternoon (never fails). We could hook up sometime, you can take a look, see hoe it fits you, look at a few mods. Let me know if you head into Des Moines some weekend, or down south.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate

Originally Posted by warrick
Yeah , I love the bike, have the short shots, SE Stage1, highway pegs, drag bars, 48 speedo set up, few other blacked out features. I saw a Black Denim Iron there just the other day with apes.

I am from Pleasantville (just a bit east of I-town). I do see the forecast has taken an ugly turn for this afternoon (never fails). We could hook up sometime, you can take a look, see hoe it fits you, look at a few mods. Let me know if you head into Des Moines some weekend, or down south.
I wonder if that is the Iron they have at the Barn now, I went in yesterday to take a look and the had a 2010 with apes. I bet its the one that was at Route 65 since there the same owner. The salesmen said he got it in for a guy who decided he didn't want to spend the money. Then he tried to sell it to me for 8,700...Maybe i could get him to take the apes off and add everything else i wanted...ha

I'll shoot you a message if i'm ever down that way, or the next time i get out and ride (hopefully on a new harley) Hopefully the weather holds off for tonight!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Voony
I don't own an Iron but an 2002 883 (same engine size). If I may recommend the first of the Irons you listed with the Vance and Hines Short Shots and the complete stage 1 and forward controls. I don't know how tall you are but being 6' myself, I find the forward controls to be a must for comfort. Also, the Short Shots will make you happy because there is nothing like a full exhaust system. Because it has Stage 1 and is the most recent of the three bikes, seems to be a good deal to me.

My 2 cents !
Hey, thanks for the suggestion! #2 is the most appealing one to me, i'm right around 6' and about 160. I think the forward controls would be perfect! It has everything i want right away, maybe i can work a deal with them after the weekend.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:48 PM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hooah09
Or you could spend only an extra grand or two and buy a new 2012 model in a month! Then you'd be able to experience the joy of modifying your bike yourself. (And rumor has it that it may also have a 6-speed transmission!) And if you ever want to upgrade to a 1200, just buy the kit--only $1500 or so for parts and installation.
I like where your heads at, I would like to try and wait until the '12 models come out and see what they offer! That and i'm guessing the prices on the 09' and 10' models will start to drop ha I do plan on doing the 1200 conversion eventually, once i get used to the handling compared to a sport bike! My better halfs dad builds motors and was a mechanic for a living. Mostly race engines, and just retired from the millitary, he did engine and pretty much any repair on Black Hawks. I might have him handle my conversion project!

Quick Reply: New guy here, looking to get an Iron...