Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP

I have an '01 883 and it has forward controls. I need a new set of handlebars and was considering drag bars because of the bobber-style look that I like. However, my bro brought it to my attention that it may be uncomfortable with the forward controls and all. Could someone recommend a comfortable style for a girl with forward controls?

Also, speaking of the forward controls... the guy who had the bike before me put them on and the rear brake pedal is way high (like straight up instead of matching the gear shifter angle). So, I need to, either find a new extension bar that's shorter, or alter the existing one.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM
46and2
Cruiser

you could try 2-6" risers or pullback risers (at least to match the stock bars' specs), then the geometry would be most like what you're used to but with drag bars instead.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

Is this kind of what you're talking about? If I went with something like this, is is compatible with the cables I already have from the stock handlebars? I'm not trying to get new/longer cables for the new handlebars...

Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
46and2
Cruiser

yeah, those (drags with built in risers), or just one piece drags and separate risers. either way, the end result is basically the same and there are tons of options out there.

as far as cable lengths go, it depends on how high you go...

the risers (built-in or not) come in all sorts of lengths (2", 4", 6.5" etc), and some, like the 8" ones, are probably too tall to work with stock cables. those in the photo you posted look like 6", maybe a bit taller.

if your existing bars are, for example, 27" wide and 4.5" high, you could probably go as high as drags with 6" of riser without changing cables, or there about, since it's only 1.5" taller and there's probably enough slack to make that work, emphasis on probably.

FWIW, I'm no expert, this is just stuff I've picked up in researching the same sort of questions. Best of luck, someone who knows more than me will likely be along soon...

Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

Also, I need to see if i am able to purchase a stock brake pedal because I have a pedal cover and my current pedal has no pre-drilled hole to attach it...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Hooah09
Cruiser

Okay, hopefully this will help you; here is a picture of my sporty with forward controls and a Wild 1 Chubby WO511 Dragster Bar (30-½" wide, 8-½" center, 6" pullback, NO RISE). The ride is surprisingly comfortable and definitely gives you a more "aggressive" feel when riding.

These bars use internal wiring, which is a little tedious to install but looks GREAT once you're done, and did not require me to buy new cables. Looking at your stock bars, I can say that your factory cables would more than likely fit this bar.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

nice. my only concern is that im about 5'5" and i wanna be comfortable. =)

Old 06-16-2011, 01:28 PM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

and if i wanted... could i put risers on that to make it come back further?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Hooah09
Cruiser

True, I do have about 6 inches on you. And yes, you could absolutely add some risers to that handle bar; pullback risers would work even better to bring the bar back without lifting it up too high.

You could also get a Reach or similar seat that moves you a little further forward on the bike.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
ReesePeace
Novice

I am 5'6 and had forward controls on my sporty, i was all clamed over with the stock drag bars that came on it. I changed them out to Biltwell 12" Apes and LOVED them. Much more comfortable riding position and with the Sporty being a bit of a ruff girl it was a lot easier on my wrists over the bumps.

Quick Reply: Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP