Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM
46and2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mthrfcknsullivan
and if i wanted... could i put risers on that to make it come back further?
sure, there are several sizes/heights, both straight and with pullback.

like these which, based on his bike, would raise them 4.5" and bring them back toward you more as well:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/5000370

Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:25 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

I put 4" offset risers on mine backwards so I could clear the tank I got for it. I'm 6' and with or with out the risers I felt fine. I don't have forward controls yet but I do have the highway pegs that are in the same spot. I find it very comfortable to ride. Just the first time I took a long ride on it. Muscles in my upper back were soar for a day. after that it never bugged me again.

Attached Thumbnails Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP-handel-bars2.jpg   Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP-handel-bars.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM
xcore
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mthrfcknsullivan
Is this kind of what you're talking about? If I went with something like this, is is compatible with the cables I already have from the stock handlebars? I'm not trying to get new/longer cables for the new handlebars...

I'm using this cause my sporty came with this. I'm on mid controls, thinking about getting forward controls but I think it'll look weird, the handlebars are too back and my leg will be stretched in front. That's what I think.

Anybody got any advice?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

well I would think that if your handlebars are back (toward you) that it would work better for forward controls so your not stretched out & leaning forward...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 15 degree drag bars with the HD 4" curve risers and forwards on my XL50 and it's comfortble. I'm 5'8" so I don't have super long arms and I love it. At some point I my pick up a set of stock risers to drop the bar down and forward more, but right now it's a sweet set up. i say go for it and you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go with the pull back risers like initially posted, you "should" only need to replace the brake line. There's more than enough slack in your clutch and throttle cables to reach the bars by just changing out the risers from those stock 2" risers to the pull backs. You just need to take the cables from going between the triple trees and move them to being outside of the trees. And now looking at it again in your pic, you may not even need to get a new brake line, as it's going forward now. With the new risers, it'll be going slightly back and up.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:17 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, and to adjust your brake lever, there's an adjustment back towards the master cylinder. You can make adjustments at the nut/bar assembly just in front of that black plunger. Pull the cotter pin on the rod up at the foot pedal assebly, loosen the nut back by the plunger, turn the rod in towards the bike to lower the foot pedal, or twist it out from the bike to raise the pedal to your liking, and then tighten the tensioner nut and reassemble the pin/cotter pin assembly up from. Or if it's still not short enough, you can either get a new shorter rod, or cut a section out of the current one and weld it back together with your own measurements.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
mthrfcknsullivan
6th Gear

Thanks! I actually fixed the brake issue yesterday. I tried just adjusting it as far as it would go and it wasn't enough so I had to do a little customizing but its all good now.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:10 PM
thoner7
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a question as far as forward controls go, that hopefully can be answered without starting a new thread.

Is there a manufacturer that makes a forward controls kit, that gets a little bit more length than the HD kits? My local dealer only has a 1200 custom set up with the forwards, and it still feels 2-4 inches short. I looked at the set up on the bike and it would be very easy to have the pegs relocated to any location with a different mounting bracket. I assume any aftermarket kit is a bit different anyways, so I am hoping you guys know of one that moves the controls little bit farther out. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Forward Controls & Handlebars HELPPP