Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery drained

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Chi6er
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default battery drained

Yesterday, I notice a strange reoccurring noise coming from the engine area, it happens every couple seconds or so. When I went to start the bike, it wouldn't because battery is drained. This is on an 08 nightster. plug in the battery tender and charged all night, still on the red charging as of noon, was able to fire up the bike. I am afraid to ride it anywhere, fearing being stranded. I started to find the source of this recycling noise. It turns ou to be coming from the air cleaner. Is there anything in the air cleaner that can cause the recyling noise every few seconds. Seems like something is stuck on, causing the drain. I last rode the bike Friday, it was fine. I have been caught in heavy storms these last few weeks too, so maybe the rain affected something. Any clue? thanks in advance. Jerry

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sounds like corrosion in the fuse box rearing it's ugly head again, remove, clean & dry all fuses and especially the two big black relays in the fuse box.
Use di-electric grease on everything before putting it all back to help avoid the problem in the future.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you take the battery out to charge it or use a pigtail? Make sure you don't have any loose cables or shorts. I had something similar happen recently. I started my bike and rode to the gas station with no problem. After filling up the bike wouldn't start again. Using a jumper pack I could get the bike to start but once I took it off, the bike would die again. Turns out the ground cable had been pinched between the battery and the frame and broke the insulation. When running off the pack, it made the same cycling type of noise that you're talking about.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Chi6er
Advanced
Wink

Hotlap... thanks for suggestion, I will pick up some di-electric grease tommorrow and clean out the fuse box.

Mr Mojo Risin..I didn't take the battery out, I used the pigtail. I will take the battery out this time, also clean the leads too.

thank you for answering...hopefully this problem won't be a major one.

Jerry

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do a search for this issue. It is a known problem. The system relay is open or shut from corrosion and is making that cycling noise happen. Happened to my bike over 5 times. Took the stealer too long to figure it out. You need to blow out your fuse box to get the water out, clean out the corrosion and pack the whole thing with a few onces of dialectic grease. Go buy 3 new relays, put 2 in and carry the spare with you. I have not had this issue happen to me lately but I have not ridden in the rain and always blow air in the fuse block area after washing my bike. Its a design flaw. water flows down the frame under the tank and down through the fuse block. My opinion is that is why harley had the trade up with the sportsters cuz they did not want to recall all of them. Just pay attention to it. You can tell when it starts acting weird.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 AM
Chi6er
Advanced
Smile

Wilburz;

thanks, I will do that, as the other 2 replies recommend the same thing. I glad I have a better idea of whats happening now, I was fearing that the fuel injection or something more costly was messed up. Jerry