Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cables and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:24 PM
pjweber
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cables and Wires

I have an idea of a 'winter project' and want to get some feedback from those that have done this already, tips, tricks, etc.

I ride a '06 1200C. I want to run the wiring inside my handlebars for a cleaner look. I like the feel of the stock bars, but I would like to swap them out with something similar, bars with a better chrome finish preferrably. The stock bars just don't seem to have a bright chrome finish to them.

1. Are there disconnects for the wiring or do I just cut and splice in the riser area?
2. What make/style of bars would be similar to the stock sportster bars?

I would like to also install braided cables (brake lines, throttle, clutch), tips and tricks regarding this? Those that have exchanged cables, did you use HD parts or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance for input on this project.

Ride Safe!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Cables and Wires

ORIGINAL: pjweber
1. Are there disconnects for the wiring or do I just cut and splice in the riser area?
The connectors for both left/right switches and speedometer are located under the gas tank. If you want to run the wires through the handlebar, most likely you have to extend the cable by a few inches depends on your new handlebar set up. I cut a 2 inch off each connector and solder them, rubber shrink tubes will wrap the wire nicely.

ORIGINAL: pjweber
2. What make/style of bars would be similar to the stock sportster bars?
For something similar to what you have, I suggest this one unless you want to go ape hangers. You can still use stock clutch and throttle cables.

I would like to also install braided cables (brake lines, throttle, clutch), tips and tricks regarding this? Those that have exchanged cables, did you use HD parts or aftermarket?
If you want to go for the same length, I believe Harley sells them in chrome and steel braided. This company makes all kind of cables and different length to fit your needs.
Good luck!