Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Strange 883 issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help - Strange 883 issue?

I have a 2001 883C. Put it away last october and when I got her out a few months ago it started right up and then died. I have been through everything. Fuel, vacuum & voes, wiring, etc. Here's the deal.

She starts right up. Runs about two seconds and dies. If I turn the key off and back on, she fires right back up.

If I start her and keep turning the key off and right back on while running, the bike runs great (As great as it can with me manipulating the ignition via the key the entire time).

Carb is in good shape. Vacuum petcock is fine. New battery. Everything "seems" fine but as I stated, she only runs about 2-3 seconds and dies. Turn key off and back on and she fires right back up.

My mechanic thinks it is the Ignition Module. I'm not so sure but I am at a loss for what else it could be. I've chased every wire looking for a bad connection or a wire grounding out somewhere. No such luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:42 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear
Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 PM
jthepipeguy38
Cruiser

THis might sound stupid but have you tried taking the switch out of the equation.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

You mean bypassing it? Not sure what you mean. I am pretty sure it is either a relay that is kicking off and resets when I kill the ignition or the ignition module is bad. I just noticed that it will stay running if I cycle the key on and off today. I'm frustrated and overwhelmed.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should check your VOES (vacuum operated electric switch)

Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

We tested VOES at my mechanics house with vacuum and ohm meter. Switch worked fine. Thank you though. Still lookin for ideas...

Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM
ElGoonski
Advanced

Man that is a strange one. I have a 08 nightster and I was having starting troubles. I got some great advice on here to swap my Starter Relay for the System Relay. Now my bike is FI, so its definately not the same system. What I learned was start with something common and cheap.

So if you have a wiring schematic see if you can pinpoint the relay that is common to starting/ignition. Then take a look physically at the relay, there may be another in the system that is the same. Swap them and see if that fixes it. Otherwise bite the bullet and buy a new relay and try that (it'll be the cheapest place to start, considering you've checked everything else in the system).

I'll see if I can google a wiring diagram to poke around with.

Good luck dude, I hope you get er sorted out

Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 AM
jthepipeguy38
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MissouriRidgeRunner
You mean bypassing it? Not sure what you mean. I am pretty sure it is either a relay that is kicking off and resets when I kill the ignition or the ignition module is bad. I just noticed that it will stay running if I cycle the key on and off today. I'm frustrated and overwhelmed.
Ya sorry thats what I meant bypass ignition switch.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM
MissouriRidgeRunner
6th Gear

No, I haven't bypassed the ignition switch yet. Are you talking about the kill swith on the bars or the ignition where the key goes or the ignition relay?

Old 06-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There may be a tilt switch for the TSM, maybe it is out of place. If the bike falls over, it kills the engine and you have to cycle the key off and back on to restart.

Quick Reply: Help - Strange 883 issue?