Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 03:49 PM
Booey424
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!

So I bought the chrome rocker covers. I kept the black spacer but I bought the top and bottom rockers chrome. The top ones were Custom Chrome,and the bottoms were Harley parts. So I tried to do it myself, but it leaked bad.

So I took it to the dealer. They tried the first time and I took it home and it still leaked. So I took it back to the dealer, and they told me because the tops were not Harley parts, that they needed thicker gaskets from Custom Chrome.So they ordered the thicker gaskets, installed them. I picked it up and it still leaked. I took it back again, they then told me that sometimes the Custom Chrome parts don't match up correctly. So I had to buy the Harley top rocker covers. I bought them and they installed everything again. So now 2 months later, they are leaking AGAIN.

Can my heads be warped or something? Why won't these things stop leaking? I put about 300 miles on this time before they leaked again. But the other times I didn't even get home from the dealer before they leaked.

Old 05-30-2011 | 04:25 PM
tjyosh
Cruiser

This might be a stupid question but are you warming it up before turning the throttle , I have taken it 3 times allready and it's a 2010

Old 05-30-2011 | 04:40 PM
Booey424
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by tjyosh
This might be a stupid question but are you warming it up before turning the throttle , I have taken it 3 times allready and it's a 2010
Why would that matter? It didn't leak for 22,000 miles and 8 years. And now it won't stop leaking.

And I haven't changed the way I ride it. The only thing that has changed is I bought Harley chrome rockers and the dealer can't get them to stop leaking

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:00 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Cool

This Is a tuff one,,
My advice,,,
Get New stock gaskets and use Permatex this time.
Me and a freind who really knows sportsters got together and Did someone elses
2007 custom,,when It let go at 12,000,,
He's at 15k now,,no leaks,,chrome rocker boxes heat up differently,,

Attached Thumbnails Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0366.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0371.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0372.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0373.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0374.jpg  

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:01 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member

If they were good for two months then I can't see your heads being warped, have you tried re-torquing the mounting bolts?

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:03 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Cool

More Pic's,,,,,,,,,,,,

Attached Thumbnails Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0375.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0385.jpg   Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!-hpim0390.jpg  
Old 05-30-2011 | 05:05 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Cool

Make shure you go down slow and EVEN,,

Torque wrench PFFfft we didn't use no torque wrench,,
We Is Old School,,and It DID NOT LEAK !

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:06 PM
garslayer
Tourer

At what point will the MoCo fix the crap engineering that went into manufacturing this joke and end threads like this forever. F'n Rocker Box Covers.

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:08 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Osco
This Is a tuff one,,
My advice,,,
Get New stock gaskets and use Permatex this time.
Me and a freind who really knows sportsters got together and Did someone elses
2007 custom,,when It let go at 12,000,,
He's at 15k now,,no leaks,,chrome rocker boxes heat up differently,,
This. Use RTV High Temp Silicone Gasket Maker on the gaskets. Just use your fingers to smear a light coating on the surfaces of the gasket and then install the covers. Follow the instructions for tightening bolts/setting time and you will have no problems at all. I did that to my leaky rocker boxes and it's been over 8000 miles since they leaked.

I do this on my Civic and bike for all the gaskets where it is applicable (valve covers, oil pans, etc). I have never had a leak.

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:09 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Cool Permatex

Some people panic sayin,"The permatex will get in the engine and clog sumthin up",,,
or some such noise,,
Shure If ya use too much.

In the slot where the gasket goes into,,you squeeze it to the OUTSIDE of the channel and use just enough to coat It when the gasket gets pressed
down Into the channel.
The Gaskets almost fill the channel when the thing Is wrenched back down but not quite.

You put some IN the channel and mash the gasket Down,an If It oozes out the top,,you got too much,,,
Try again,,It should just come up both sides of the gasket to where you can see it,,barely,,,It was easy as Pie...........................

Quick Reply: Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!