Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker covers leaking AGAIN!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:14 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated

You must also super clean the surfaces,,DO NOT scratch them at all..

Comtex Is a good brand the factory ones should do fine,,

Your heads shouldn't be warped but there Is a chance they wre not tightend evenly,,

On the way down to contact we go 1/2 turn each bolt,,we take em down very
very evenly,,then,,,,
Once at contact,,1/4 turn on each bolt ALL the way to full tight.

Old 05-30-2011 | 05:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

When you start mixing part like this you really need to do some checking and comparing. Since you know you have a problem I would clean up everything and compare them to the old part. I would also get a tube of high spot blue and do some checking. My bet is you have a low spot. I know when I put my primary cover on I was amazed how out of square and warped it was. I walked it down flat working middle out and it never leaked. Most of these cover are not machined, just cast. I got a Willie Skull Derby cover from off E-bay. It was so far out with chrome roll over on the edges I sanded it on a piece of 350 silicon carbide paper taped to my table saw. I alway check the bolts a couple time over a few day and I do it by hand. I know my book calls for loctite patch on the bolts but I did not use it here and similar tighten pattern inner two bolts, then crisscrossing working outward for tighten.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 | 07:53 PM
Booey424
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by garslayer
At what point will the MoCo fix the crap engineering that went into manufacturing this joke and end threads like this forever. F'n Rocker Box Covers.
That's exactlly what I was thinking. This problem happens to alot of sportster bikes. But yet they still leak.

After buying all the "proper" Harley parts, and having the Harley dealer do the work, 3 times.........one would think that the MOCO could get it fixed.

But yet it sits in my garage leaking oil.

Old 05-30-2011 | 07:55 PM
Booey424
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
When you start mixing part like this you really need to do some checking and comparing. Since you know you have a problem I would clean up everything and compare them to the old part. I would also get a tube of high spot blue and do some checking. My bet is you have a low spot. I know when I put my primary cover on I was amazed how out of square and warped it was. I walked it down flat working middle out and it never leaked. Most of these cover are not machined, just cast. I got a Willie Skull Derby cover from off E-bay. It was so far out with chrome roll over on the edges I sanded it on a piece of 350 silicon carbide paper taped to my table saw. I alway check the bolts a couple time over a few day and I do it by hand. I know my book calls for loctite patch on the bolts but I did not use it here and similar tighten pattern inner two bolts, then crisscrossing working outward for tighten.
How would a low spot just happen? It didn't leak for 8 years, and now it leaks all the time.

Old 05-30-2011 | 08:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Booey424
How would a low spot just happen? It didn't leak for 8 years, and now it leaks all the time.

So I bought the chrome rocker covers. I put about 300 miles on this time before they leaked again. But the other times I didn't even get home from the dealer before they leaked.

Must have mi read or mis interpreted something you said, will reread it again. 300 miles. 8 years? Guess I need to reread. Sorry I guess they are no low spots.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-30-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2011 | 09:30 PM
Booey424
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by grf000
So I bought the chrome rocker covers. I put about 300 miles on this time before they leaked again. But the other times I didn't even get home from the dealer before they leaked.

Must have mi read or mis interpreted something you said, will reread it again. 300 miles. 8 years? Guess I need to reread. Sorry I guess they are no low spots.
I have had my bike for 8 years. It has 22,000 + miles on it. Through the years I purcheased or was given chrome rockers. I kept the stock black spacer. As my bike is a 2003 and has a 3 piece rocker setup. I bought custom chrome top rocker covers and Harley lower rockers. They didn't fit apparently.

So I bought the Harley tops, and seeing as I had the Harley stock spacers and the Harley bottom rockers, I ,and anyone else would figure they would fit together, the way Harley intended. But they don't. THEY KEEP LEAKING. Even after a Harley dealer put them together.

Can you explain why, a 3 piece rocker set-up, with all Harley parts , all Harley gaskets, and all Harley service..............WON'T STOP LEAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-31-2011 | 07:51 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member

Use Cometic gaskets and a torque wrench.

http://www.cometic.com/harleydavidson.aspx

No other bullshit is needed, if so, then you have a problem.

Old 05-31-2011 | 08:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Now I see and under stand all Harley. However the two parts I'm referring to in post 12 are Harley parts and the were not flat and bowed pretty bad. Why I said it probable had a low spot was I assumed the head and spacer was machined but not the top cover. I assumed it was just a precision casting. However when they chrome it does not go on even and tends to build up on edges. Bows will pull down but if there is a low spot in the top cover it can pull down yet leave a small area that is not tight. The gasket is what seals. It gets so hot that I doubt regular rtv will hold up. Can you wipe it off and drive it till it just start to leak so you can pin point the problem. Then maybe you an clamp it with out gaskets and slide a .002 filler to find the area. Then you may have to replace that part or if you have a setup up like I do make the cover flat by sanding it on a flat steel table. I used blue high spot on mine. Its like blue ink in a grease paste that you smear on one surface. Then you rub the other on and the blue marks the other piece were it hits. When it hits blue all over you know its flat and no low spots.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-31-2011 at 08:29 AM.