Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped it, Sh..!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
dmooth
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropped it, Sh..!

It was bound to happen, and the way the day went I knew it would be today. Had the day off, and the weather was good. But before i was to ride, I had planned to get up early and change the oil in three of my vehicles, then I would take a ride. Well as fate would have it, the first oil change was a bitch! '96 ranger 4x4, just had a new engine installed, and was set to do the first 500 mile oil change. Could not get the oil filter off, and boy did I trash it trying. Filter wrench would not budge it, so I went with the screw driver hammered through the filter method. No luck, even put a breaker bar on the screw driver. Nothing. Next were the channel locks. Squeezed the crap out of the filter, yes I was turning it in the correct direction, still nothing, wouldn't budge. Now I'm stubborn and cheap, that's why I was doing my own oil changes, but I digress.

Got under the truck thought I could remove the starter and get to it. Could not break loose any of the starter bolts. Attacked from below with channel locks still nothing. Stood back had a smoke and looked for my calm center. Took a while but common sense finally kicked in. I called my pal Billy with the tow truck. Billy even tried to break it loose, and he's a big dude. We crushed that filter some more, and gave up before we did more damage. I said screw it, take it to the shop that installed the engine and let them mess with it, hell they put the damn thing on there! So we loaded up the truck, and off it went to the shop. Next two oil changes went like clock work done in 30min. Time to ride.

Well, the mailman came by and didn't take the mail I had put out there for him, and there was a late bill in there (of course)! So I said to myself I'll hop on the Sporty and go to the post office to mail my late bill. Good plan decent day, now I even have a purpose. It was all good, cruising around, nice easy ride maybe ten miles round trip max. Now this thought went through my head as I got ready to ride. Should I take the bike? It'll be just my luck something will happen given how the morning has been. I shake it off and go. Get to the post office, mail my overdue bill, and decide I really need to chill, so I decide to cruise over to a local starbucks, thought I'd get some coffee, and smoke a couple of cigarettes, and let the troubles of the day drift away.

It happens when you least expect it as you all know. I pulled into the parking lot, and was pulling a tight turn to the right to line up with a parking space, so I could back in. I don't know really what happened, as I think about it now, I think I squeezed the clutch instead of the brake. Next thing I know the bike is falling over on the right side. I have often thought about this happening wondering how hard it will be to get it back up and what not. Well no sooner did my right footrest hit the ground I found my self on that side of the bike lifting it back up. I mean it barely touched the pavement, and actually the foot rest was what stopped it long enough for me to get under it. Guess the adrenaline kicked in pretty quick. It's one of those things, where it happens, you react. Got the bike up, had to start it, backed into the parking space, got the stand down and looked around to see who just saw me make that sweet move. Boy I was pissed! At myself. I regrouped, got some coffee, had some smokes, rode home and assessed the damage.

I was really lucky, minor road rash on the tip of my brake lever, the side of the front brake pedal, and rear turn signal. Pipes were pretty much spared, very minor little asphalt pits, not noticable. I took some 600 grit sandpaper to the break lever and pedal sanded down the aluminum, then did the 2000, and 2500 hit it with Semichrome, and no one would ever know. The only thing I noticed on the ride home was that it seemed my brake lever activated the brakes sooner than before, I'm going to check the manual, and see if I might have hurt the plunger into the front master cylinder, hell I just may be overly sensitive time will tell. Any way, no injuries other than pride, guess I'm glad I got that out of the way, and it didn't happen with a crowd of onlookers. All in all guess when my day starts bad, I'll just go back to bed and start over.

Last edited by dmooth; 05-26-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Lack of paragraphs hurting peoples vision.....
Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

TLDR try using paragraphs you just wrecked my eyeballs.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superfly3176
tldr try using paragraphs you just wrecked my eyeballs.
lmao!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
EJ21
Novice

First, glad ur ok and only a little ego bruising. Also glad bike only had minor blemishes you were able to buff out. Shows how quick it can happen with just a little lapse of focus. At least no witnesses. Long read but I enjoyed it. Hope the shop got the filter off btw. Been there before.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:00 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
No ****.........

Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM
jbyun
Road Captain

Happens to the best of us. Glad you're not hurt as that's the most important thing.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 PM
dmooth
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Superfly3176
Sorry about that, phone rang, the truck was ready so I had to go before I finished..

Old 05-27-2011, 12:59 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Yeah, I did that once. Don't WAN to do it again but no big deal. I have front and rear guards and NO visible damage st all. Ride safe.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm always amazed that everyone that drops a bike starts of by saying, "it was gonna happen sooner or later". With that attitude, it's no wonder you dropped the bike. Sorry it happened man, now that it did maybe you can get that out of your head and move on. Not trying to be rude, but if you think it's going to happen, you will most likely "MAKE" it happen. Just sayin.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by simmy711
I'm always amazed that everyone that drops a bike starts of by saying, "it was gonna happen sooner or later". With that attitude, it's no wonder you dropped the bike. Sorry it happened man, now that it did maybe you can get that out of your head and move on. Not trying to be rude, but if you think it's going to happen, you will most likely "MAKE" it happen. Just sayin.
I hope I never drop my bike. But when you are manhandling a FLHTCUI around, it is a constant risk. A lot different than a 550 lb bike. I do agree with you that it can be a self fulfilling prophecy. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quick Reply: Dropped it, Sh..!