Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straight Shots Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Aaron48
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
Yeah I meant Big City Thunder. Would you suggest I try the original baffles before I swap exhaust?
Thats what I would do...put em in warm up the bike take it for a ride and listen to it when its warm. JMO..

Old 05-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 88xlh1200
Hi Voony, by "plugs" I mean your spark plugs. I know on my bike the V&H "quiet" baffles (that have the fiberglass wrap around them) did indeed give the bike a deeper tone. I found the standard V&H baffles did have a somewhat annoying tone to them, but they sure were loud!

Do a youtube search for V&H baffles and you should find a few videos where some people have posted clips of the same bike with the different baffles. If I can find it, there was one guy who posted his bike with no baffles, then the standard baffles, then the quiet baffles.

Your original post said you have Straight Shots on your bike. Is that not a full system or are they slip-on mufflers? Even if they are slip-ons I wouldn't think your stock head pipes would make that much of a difference?

Try this link for a start(hope it works), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zhpib1bEuA

This is the link I was referring to earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ImxI...eature=related
Good Luck!

J
Thanks for the response and the link!

The Straight Shots are slip-on mufflers. It is my understanding that full system are better?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aaron48
Thats what I would do...put em in warm up the bike take it for a ride and listen to it when its warm. JMO..
Hey Aaron,

I'd get V&H baffles before I swap exhaust. I thought I read in another topic that you recommend full system pipes because they offer the best performances...is that why you swapped for the Firesweep?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Originally Posted by Voony
Hey Aaron,

I'd get V&H baffles before I swap exhaust. I thought I read in another topic that you recommend full system pipes because they offer the best performances...is that why you swapped for the Firesweep?
I decided on putting a full exhaust because I really am not a fan of Drag Pipes....to me they are just plain boring, the style of the stock exhaust really bothers me. I wanted a full exhaust and everybody runs the same pipes V&H Short Shots Stagered. I saw Bassani's exhaust and thought Nobody runs them except for a couple of people. To me they look and sound sooo good !! Bottom line I wanted something different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaVUa-QTac

Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

I decided on putting a full exhaust because I really am not a fan of Drag Pipes....to me they are just plain boring, the style of the stock exhaust really bothers me. I wanted a full exhaust and everybody runs the same pipes V&H Short Shots Stagered. I saw Bassani's exhaust and thought Nobody runs them except for a couple of people. To me they look and sound sooo good !! Bottom line I wanted something different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaVUa-QTac
That's a good reason! :-) I already hear how your bike sounds like and it's Mozart! Thanks for the replies.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 PM
pendragyn
Novice

I saw Bassani's exhaust and thought Nobody runs them except for a couple of people. To me they look and sound sooo good !! Bottom line I wanted something different.
Yeah, that's why I went with my sweepers. Was originally going to go with V&H shorties, but it seems everyone was doing that, plus from what I heard the Bassani's sounded better.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

Bassani's Pipes sound Much better !!!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

I just ordered the V&H original baffles...I hope I'm not gonna waste $50 to later buy Bassani Sweepers!

Old 05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 88xlh1200
Hi Voony, by "plugs" I mean your spark plugs. I know on my bike the V&H "quiet" baffles (that have the fiberglass wrap around them) did indeed give the bike a deeper tone. I found the standard V&H baffles did have a somewhat annoying tone to them, but they sure were loud!
What do I need to check about the plugs?

Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM
dez
2nd Gear

I just installed ShortShots and its .... LOOOOUUUDD... while i think it sounds pretty awesome, the neighbors aren't too happy... and I really, didn't want it to be that loud.

I have smartpartz hard quiet baffle on order. Would you suggest leaving the standard baffles in the short shots? would adding V&H quiet baffles plus the Smartpartz baffles make it even quieter?

has anyone done SS standard baffles, V&H quiet baffles, and Smartpartz?

Quick Reply: V&H Straight Shots Dilemma