Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Day In The Saddle ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long Day In The Saddle ?

This summer meeting up with some bro's to take a 500mile trip for a weekend getaway..That trip with 8/10 bikes should be no problem.

My problem is I am 800 miles away from the rest of the guys and was contemplating riding my sportster to meet them and I only have 1 day to do it. I've been told that 800 miles in one day would be MURDER on a sportster especially since I would be getting up early the next day for the 500mile trip.

The alternative is fly the 800 miles and borrow one of the guys sportsters for the weekend trip. What would you do ?

I just ordered a memphis shades sportshield so that would aid in the 800 mile trip ( which would be all superslab) .... 800 miles one day ????

Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

I did a 750 mile day last month, and could have gone another 50 without a problem. I don't know though, that I'd have been up for another 500 miles the next day and been able to enjoy it, let alone the 800 mile trip back without a down day.

And yes, unless you're in well above average physical condition, for 800 miles on the slab running 75-80 mph, you'll appreciate that windshield.

Edit: Have you ever run a 500 mile day on the slab? If not, I'd try something like that first.

Last edited by cHarley; 05-25-2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cHarley
I did a 750 mile day last month, and could have gone another 50 without a problem. I don't know though, that I'd have been up for another 500 miles the next day and been able to enjoy it, let alone the 800 mile trip back without a down day.

And yes, unless you're in well above average physical condition, for 800 miles on the slab running 75-80 mph, you'll appreciate that windshield.

Edit: Have you ever run a 500 mile day on the slab? If not, I'd try something like that first.
I haven't done a long day in 25 years lol... Mostly bar crawls and some 2 lane day trips locally ( 250 miles most I've done ) ..The 500 mile will be a stretch for me LOL I was thinking that 800 miles in a day for someone like me who is not use to it would kill me and the trip the next day. I don't want the 500 mile trip to be a CHORE and not fun

Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd see about borrowing a bike there and just fly out. Not having ridden that far in one day will be a chore to say the least. Here's a tip for your trip, get a bathroom mat/carpet, the kind with a rubber backing, shaggy prefered. lay that on the seat before the trip, you'll be suprised how much better that seat will feel afterwards. Your keister will thank you.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by karaokeman
The alternative is fly the 800 miles and borrow one of the guys sportsters for the weekend trip.
That is the way to go... if you ride 800 miles before riding with your buddies you are not only going to be physically exhausted but mentally exhausted which is as dangerous as being physically exhausted... I did an Iron Butt a few months ago.. and I made the mistake of riding with struts and inverted handlebars.. by the end of the ride I was so exhausted that I was unable to process information.. I left the meeting point after the ride.. I was just 15 miles away from home but it took me more than 1 hour to get home... I stopped by a road sign while checking directions on the GPS.. and although I live in the city.. my mind was unable to process directions.. I was kind of daydreaming.. it was bizarre.. under no circumstances we should push our body/minds to those extremes while operating a motorcycle... did you buy the plane ticket yet?? :-)

Old 05-25-2011, 10:04 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The most I've pushed yet was a little over 1100 miles in 14 hours on my nightster when it was mostly stock. The only problem I had was with the bars I had mounted. I was running the narrower 883 Iron bars after a while I sore shoulders. Overall it wasn't too bad though the scenery changed a lot so that help me enjoy the ride even more.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Another Young Sinner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably ride out there just because I wouldn't want to be responsible for somebody else's bike. There's too many things that can go wrong on the ride.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
karaokeman
Road Captain

One of the dilemas is I would prefer to ride MY bike, but then again I'm listening to those who say if I push 800 miles --I won't realy enjoy the next days ride. I've thought about trailering the bike out 800 miles as that ride in a cage wouldnt be bad ..even shipping my bike LOL ... But since I don't have a trailer or hitch the costs would be TOO much.
I'd be able to rent a 2011 Heritage for the same cost.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:41 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronG87
The most I've pushed yet was a little over 1100 miles in 14 hours on my nightster when it was mostly stock. The only problem I had was with the bars I had mounted. I was running the narrower 883 Iron bars after a while I sore shoulders. Overall it wasn't too bad though the scenery changed a lot so that help me enjoy the ride even more.
That's pretty impressive, that's an average speed of 78.6 mph. With the 3.3 gal tank, you'd have to make close to 10 fuel stops alone, not counting peeing & food, so you had to be running about 90+ mph for the entire 14 hours.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take an extra day off on the front and tail ends of that weekend then and split the two 800 mile days into four 400 mile days. You'll have the extra hours per day to let your body recoup/get use to the longer rides. Otherwise, trailer it, or fly & ride.

Quick Reply: Long Day In The Saddle ?