Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing vance and hines heat shields

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
themanray3
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing vance and hines heat shields

I own a 2009 nightster. It came with vance and hines short shots with black heat shields . I'm trying to remove the heatshields but having problems accessing the clamps and I'm wondering if the shields will come off if i can get all the clamps loose??? It almost looks as if i have to remove the pipes ??? I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping someone outthere has some experience and can help me. Thanks for any help!!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM
hemisportster
Advanced
Default Removing V&H heatshields

Welcome Manray3.

Don't know if this will help you but on my 07 custom with straight shots you just have to loosen the 2 clamps on the heat shields and they slide off. Good luck!!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

Unless you want to damage the black on the heat shields I would advise to mask off the areas where they go into the motor to avoid scratching the black off during removal. Way more easier to just take the pipes completely off.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Originally Posted by Blaven48
Unless you want to damage the black on the heat shields I would advise to mask off the areas where they go into the motor to avoid scratching the black off during removal. Way more easier to just take the pipes completely off.
+1, the black scratches easily. I took mine off and put the heat wrap on. Then I put them back on and they're pretty scratched up just from laying around. The shields are held on with simple metal clamps. Don't use a screw driver, use a socket wrench it's easier. You may have to try to loosen it a touch and work it into a more accessible position. You definitely don't need to take the pipes off, and it's not hard, just a little frustrating and hard to do without scratching things up.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:32 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eviltwin415
+1, the black scratches easily. I took mine off and put the heat wrap on. Then I put them back on and they're pretty scratched up just from laying around. The shields are held on with simple metal clamps. Don't use a screw driver, use a socket wrench it's easier. You may have to try to loosen it a touch and work it into a more accessible position. You definitely don't need to take the pipes off, and it's not hard, just a little frustrating and hard to do without scratching things up.
+1 here, too, but I did not inflict any damage on my shields when I removed them without taking the pipes of. Just a bit of patience and a socket wrench worked fine. I wrapped the pipes thereafter, and I do have to say they throw off a good deal more heat now on my leg than they did prior.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:44 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

+1 all the above.....hold the shields while you unscrew the clamps,then gently lift them off,they will mare .if they do you can touch them up with bbq heat paint,spray can..home depot

Old 05-24-2011, 06:07 AM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tie a shoelace or something around the exhaust and it won't fall off while you're unbolting it.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
graymo
6th Gear

Whipped my shields of this morning, V & H Big Radius on a 2010 Nightster, took all of 10 minutes - 3 jubilee clips on the top pipe and 4 on the lower. I had to be a bit careful on the lower pipe when removing it as the brake pedal is very close. The jubilee clips had to be opened right up to remove the heat shields as they run under a retaining channel inside the shield.
I agree that a socket is the tool for the job here as a screwy can easily slip...

Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themanray3
I own a 2009 nightster. It came with vance and hines short shots with black heat shields . I'm trying to remove the heatshields but having problems accessing the clamps and I'm wondering if the shields will come off if i can get all the clamps loose??? It almost looks as if i have to remove the pipes ??? I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping someone outthere has some experience and can help me. Thanks for any help!!!
As per the others, the heat shields will come off once you undo the clamps. Here's a link to the instructions for fitting Short Shots on a Sportster: http://www.vanceandhines.com/download/D497IN.pdf

From memory, there's a total of 8 clamps. The clamps will stay with the heat shields when you pull them off.