Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Tuning geeks...Yer opinion..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM
evofloyd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F##k, I love my old evo, flat lined the fuel/air mix. she's cold blooded as hell{just like the old lady} but when she's warmed up HAMMER DOWN

Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM
jimmy85
Advanced

So it seems it has been established that the stock ecm IS capable of compensating for the added air flow of a high flow intake and aftermarket exhaust. Meaning that any programmers benefit is to add just a little more fuel to squeeze out a little more power. Is this correct?

Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

AHHHH WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! I give up all I know is the thing runs like a raped ape...with hiccups.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jimmy85
So it seems it has been established that the stock ecm IS capable of compensating for the added air flow of a high flow intake and aftermarket exhaust. Meaning that any programmers benefit is to add just a little more fuel to squeeze out a little more power. Is this correct?
Exactly. Some tuners (TTS, PCV, and some others) also change the timing for even more power and/or driveability. Either way, adding a tuner is an attempt to garner every last horsepower. You won't notice the difference (except at the gas station) between A/C and exhaust on the one hand, and A/C, exhaust, and tuner on the other, unless you race regularly or "race" dyno sheets.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I have a PCV because I didn't know better when I bought the bike. Having done the research since, I would not do it again (btw, it's for sale if you want it). The O2 sensors would adjust, but the PCV takes them out of the loop. Yes, I've seen the a/f ratio of a stock bike with pipes and Stage 1 a/c with no tuner. Stock bikes are lean (but not dangerously so) from the factory. People add the tuner for many reasons, not many of which are actually problems. The ECM will adjust to add enough fuel to maintain the factory programmed AFR regardless of a/c and pipes added. You add a tuner to get more performance than you can get from just a/c and pipes. Some run it rich to keep the engine cooler, although this can also cause problems. You also add it to alleviate cold stumble.

Do some actual research, don't just argue on a forum. Go to Nightrider.com, and talk to Stephen Mullens. This is what he does for a living.

Run what you want, it's not my money, and won't hurt my bike at all.
You sit at your pc and go by what you read on the internet. "Research" I'll keep working on bikes getting my hands dirty and gather real world info. Whatever you say your clearly smarter than I. I'll stay out of it.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 AM
jimmy85
Advanced

http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/c...l-map-revealed

http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/c...losed-loop-efi

http://tuneyourharley.com/biketech/c...p-fuel-mixture

http://www.harley-performance.com/stage-1.html

To OP, I found these to be pretty useful in understanding the "debate." Especially this quote:
"EFI models are another story. Fuel injected models use a preprogrammed map to instruct how much fuel is to be delivered. Since you have changed the way the engine breaths, those instructions may not supply the proper stable fuel mixture under all conditions. Granted your bike will still run, but the only way you are going to get the most out of your EFI bike is to have it remapped..." (www. harley-performance.com).

Some seem to be biased to a particular programmer, but give the same basic message.

Last edited by jimmy85; 05-24-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 AM
harvema
Cruiser

ok so a bit off topic but still kinda relevant...
i potentially have a broken O2 sensor, long story, dog ate it, put it back together, and kinda checks out. However, if it wasn't working, what does the engine do? Rich or lean, or does it just go crazy? anyone know?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting thread,,
My Useless 2 cents,,,,

Are you reading the plugs ? not a chalky white,,but a copper or coffie color.
No flat spots along the power curve ?
You say the bike runs liked a raped ape .

I'd just ride the damn thang.

btw that stock air filter,,not paper,,same as mine.
I felt a difference after I cleaned It In hot soapy water,,
dishwasher works good to XD

Old 05-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the smoothest power curve,,
I'm scared to add anything,,I want better sound but
the bike runs so damn perfect,,just sayin.....

Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harvema
ok so a bit off topic but still kinda relevant...
i potentially have a broken O2 sensor, long story, dog ate it, put it back together, and kinda checks out. However, if it wasn't working, what does the engine do? Rich or lean, or does it just go crazy? anyone know?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it will just revert to open loop operation.

Quick Reply: Ok Tuning geeks...Yer opinion..?