Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My girl high sided last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 05:55 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My girl high sided last night

She's lying in bed, sore and unhappy. Nothing broken on her, sore right side, elbow, knee, hip skinned/banged where she hit the ground. She's more embarrassed than anything else. We were on the way home from dinner on the back country twisties, headed downhill approaching a stop on a somewhat sharp turn. I was behind her, and my buddy in front of her, so I saw what happened and cripes it was terrifying to see her hit the brake at the wrong time, the bike wobble to one side, then another, then the other and finally watch her high side it to the ground. She said after she lost control she basically bailed out, which I'm not sure was the right thing in this case.

BUT it all happened at maybe 20mph. The bike went one way, she another and before I even got there and stopped she had popped right back up on her feet like she was spring loaded. She later told me she was afraid of me hitting her or a car so she jumped right up.

Bike is scraped up a bit, right brake lever half broke but it works, windshield damaged, pipes scraped up, but she's in luck as I have my OEM pipes that will fit her bike fine. No mechanical damage, no paint damage, nothing major. Some local couple drove by right as it happened and stopped to help - fellow Harley owners of course. The husband drove my girl's bike to their house where we'll keep it for a day or so and I drove her back on the back of my bike, where she sleeps at the moment while I type this. Bekah has a little exterior damage that will heal, but nothing internal, nothing mechanical, just a little pride mostly. Her DOT helmet is banged up pretty good actually! Better that than her head.

Her parents are going to blame me of course even though she was riding long before we met.

At the moment she doesn't know why she hit the brake there but we'll go into that a little deeper when appropriate.

She'll be fine. Be careful out there!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:24 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Crap man! Glad to hear she's ok! Every year, for a week or two when the riding season begins, I get shoulder cramps when I'm riding with my wife because I'm freaked out. Eventually I calm down but every once in a while I get spooked.

Hopefully she'll get back on hers!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Thanks. I'll say this much - she rides too fast. I don't think speed was the issue in this particular case but she was freaking flying around blind turns where I slow down a good bit, even though I know the lay of the road by heart. A couple of times I was a little afraid I'd go around a bend behind her to find something I didn't want to see. We need to talk...

Old 05-22-2011, 08:11 AM
quan00
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear that she's not hurt, better the bike than the rider... Luckily she was wearing a helmet. Hopefully you can get everything repaired in a reasonable timeframe so she can ride again.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by schwingding
Thanks. I'll say this much - she rides too fast. I don't think speed was the issue in this particular case but she was freaking flying around blind turns where I slow down a good bit, even though I know the lay of the road by heart. A couple of times I was a little afraid I'd go around a bend behind her to find something I didn't want to see. We need to talk...

You're right, and sooner rather than later.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really great she is ok, must admit I think my first thought would also be to jump up after a crash, just to get over to my bike to see what damage is done.
Look after her :0)

Old 05-22-2011, 08:37 AM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That sux, Glad she's ok, bike is fixable.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:01 AM
tone98loc
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear she is OK, can't beat a DOT helmet. Same sort of thing happened to me in my early days of riding. This was the best lesson I ever learned! I now know my limits and respect them. I'm sure she'll be a lot more cautious next time she rides. My best wishes to you guys.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:13 AM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad she is okay.

Was the helmet full face?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by harlista01
Glad she is okay.

Was the helmet full face?
Nope - Harley "half" helmet. Face untouched, she said she tried to tuck and roll and to protect her face, but her hands have no evidence of impact either, so she musta done a good job.

Interestingly - her jeans are completely undamaged, but her knee and hip show some decent road rash - through the jeans, which as I said - are untouched!

Side note - she's a tough chick - still wanted you know what this morning!

Quick Reply: My girl high sided last night