Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modified stock pipes for a little bit of sound (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Dillinger
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just removed the baffle from mine... Geeeeeeez thats loud!! Is this supposed to be louder than 50 50s?

Old 07-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Factory Sportster mufflers (as well as many other HD models) have a 2 part deal inside. One is the baffle that is most commony drilled, punched or pulled. Then there is the muffler part that is a much larger inner tube that secures the packing. To completely empty the muffler seems to be quite a task while still installed...but if you just want to pull the baffle, you may have success while still attached to the rest of the exhaust.

Honestly, I don't like crawling around on the ground. I'll pull the bike up on a lift, pull the mufflers, do the deal & put em back on.

Exactly like this...and yeah, I usually have a few onlookers.

But my main concern is the hot metal shavings from drilling the baffles that the hole saw bit will fling everywhere. They'll embed in the black powdercoated parts on the bike like frame & swingarm. They don't necessarily cause damage but they'll eventually rust leaving it look like crap after a few years.
called the HD dealer and asked for the service peeps and the tech told me I'd throw codes/CEL's, and the bike will run like crap if I pulled the guts out of both mufflers on my new 2011 RKC ?

prolly works great on non-ECM bikes without EFI ??

Old 07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Last year I did an 09 Road King...no problems. The majority of bikes I do this to are fuel injected. If you have the stock air cleaner or an aftermarket one with the dealer download (or some other fuel management) you should be fine. But if they're doing all of your other service maybe they know something about your bike that's on the line. Check your plugs before and a hundred miles or so afterward. That will tell you exactly what's going on.

And to add, I make full sets of pipes for many many bikes that are fuel injected. I never baffle them. I'll "tune" the bike for a specific back pressure and that's it but that's because I don't usually run a crossover pipe like your factory exhaust will have.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

Those sound pretty good especially for no money, sounds like a Harley now.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:23 AM
poisonthesteve
Tourer

So does this mean I can remove the baffles from my SE II pipes? I see those little bastards in there and kinda want to pull 'em out..

Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by poisonthesteve
So does this mean I can remove the baffles from my SE II pipes? I see those little bastards in there and kinda want to pull 'em out..
Yes...but how easy it is depends on what version you have. The inner baffle comes right out of all of them but the outer baffle/packing is sometimes crimped in. Still removeable but will leave a hardly visible indent. It doesn't look like a dent because it's uniform in shape and rather small. I remove the slip on & and the handle from a floor jack and go at it.

Let me add this again though, modifying your pipes in any way can sometimes cause your bike to run lean. It depends on your current fueling and air cleaner. Check your plugs before hand then afterwards. If they're white (not crusty tan) you will need to add fuel. This is where you would rejet (carb) or visit nightrider.com (EFI) for the fix. Either way, it's still cost friendly.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Last year I did an 09 Road King...no problems. The majority of bikes I do this to are fuel injected. If you have the stock air cleaner or an aftermarket one with the dealer download (or some other fuel management) you should be fine. But if they're doing all of your other service maybe they know something about your bike that's on the line. Check your plugs before and a hundred miles or so afterward. That will tell you exactly what's going on.

And to add, I make full sets of pipes for many many bikes that are fuel injected. I never baffle them. I'll "tune" the bike for a specific back pressure and that's it but that's because I don't usually run a crossover pipe like your factory exhaust will have.
I'm still bone stock at the moment, I'm waiting on pipe,(BUB 7 TDX's) have the PCV & Arlen Ness 'BIG SUCKER' ready to go Stage1, just got the bike delivered brand new two weeks ago, had 1.7 miles on it, I'm at 430 miles now, just about at the 500 mi. break-in mark.

I have the V&H 2 to 1 pro pipe on my 2000 WG and it's awesome !, thanks for the info.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:25 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckinfitch
I'm still bone stock at the moment, I'm waiting on pipe,(BUB 7 TDX's) have the PCV & Arlen Ness 'BIG SUCKER' ready to go Stage1, just got the bike delivered brand new two weeks ago, had 1.7 miles on it, I'm at 430 miles now, just about at the 500 mi. break-in mark.

I have the V&H 2 to 1 pro pipe on my 2000 WG and it's awesome !, thanks for the info.

Love the Pro Pipe. A friend of mine just picked up a Road King...I'm inching towards one myself. They're amazing.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Buckinfitch
Supporter

Love the Pro Pipe. A friend of mine just picked up a Road King...I'm inching towards one myself. They're amazing.
I gaurantee you won't regret it, nothing different on the 2012's..just some numbers, about $500 of them.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
09IronRider
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Just did this to my 09 iron. I was waiting on my x14ieds. It took a little longer to get the outer baffles out but I'm a complete rookie and got it done. With this, your do it yourself air cleaner thread and xieds my bike sounds and runs way better. It will hold me off till I get my sikpipes I want.

Thanks for the great threads mreed.

Quick Reply: Modified stock pipes for a little bit of sound (video)