Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 xlt sportster will not start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Celticknott
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 84 xlt sportster will not start!

Hi guys new to this forum and as a harley owner im not real part literate as to what there called so bear with please, just rode the 84 xlh 1000cc harley yesterday tooks a good bit to get it to start think it flooded was shooting flames out of exaust finally got it to fire ran very good brought it home parked it, now when i got to crank it it just keeps running the starter its getting compression, fire on both plugs , fuel is flowing to carb(s&s), gas is clean and inline filter clean on fuel line , battery is new and the heavy duty one , starter works fine, it will just keep turning over but no fire, wont even fire when starting fluid is sprayed in it which is odd to me, can anyone please help any info will be helpful thx (oh yea also has new plugs and wires and there not fouled) thx agian, Keith

Attached Thumbnails 84 xlt sportster will not start!-dscn0388.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have air ,spark,and fuel it should start. May not run correctly but try to start. I would recheck for fuel change the plugs check again for spark on both plugs. Have you messed with your timing at all. May need adjusted. If your sure you have good spark and fuel I would check the timing then do a compression test to make sure the motor is ok. valves,rings,ect

Old 05-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Celticknott
Stage III
Default 84 sportster xlt

yea im sure the fuel is good and it is indeed getting a spark on the plugs but i know theres no combustion happining the pipes are not even getting warm after trying to start it for over an hour, as to the timing.. i dont know how to adjust or check that , nor how to check the compression but ill start with a new set of plugs first , but i know the plugs are less than 100 miles on them the guy i got it from had the reciepts , he put a new stator i think he called it and plugs and a new battery,

Old 05-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Mike07FLHTC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was working on my dads 82 ironhead years ago. It had carb problems. I put new plugs in myself and they got fouled while working on in. I had a he!l of a time with it till I changed the plugs that had no miles on them. It may not help you but I've seen it happen. As for the compression test its easy to do you just need a gauge. Maybe you can borrow one or rent one.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Celticknott
Stage III
Default 84 sportster xlh wont start

ok update, found a buss splice on the white wire coming off the ignition coil was making a very poor connection, replaced and bike started up second start, purred like a kitten , was running rich tried to adjust carb(s&s) and it actually had a good lobe to it , rode good, parked it and after that keeps flooding its kelp out and backfiring and wont start agian but at least not its getting fire, , now what?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Pappassportster
Advanced

Sounds like you are way over fueling it I would try to pinch the fuel off a little bit then change the plugs or atleast clean them and then try to fire it. I think you are having a overfueling issue though. that would explain the flames out the pipes. Hope this helps