Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2008 XL 1200L.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Non11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2008 XL 1200L.

Hi All, I just recently completed my MSF course and started looking for a Harley to call my own. I ended up finding a 2008 XL 1200L with only 154 miles on it for around 7500 from a dealer in my area.

I put 500 down on it to hold it and I'm going to test drive it this week(was raining when I went to see it). I had a few things I'd like to get info from people that have purchased bikes in the past.

-Exhaust slip ons, I'd like a louder exhaust than stock. What are some recommended brands and should I have the dealer install them? Is the labor, etc worth it? I've seen people say do it yourself, but that means replacing a gasket and unbolting the pipes from the motor. I dont have issues turning wrenches, but dont know anything about Harley's yet.

-Extended warranty, the bike doesnt have a warranty right now, but only has 154 miles. Should I purchase an extended warranty to cover it during break in period, etc?

-Helmet, Jacket, Gloves...I've looked at some of them, but really dont know the differences between them. Do I need to buy the top of the line functional riding gear versions to save my butt if I have an accident, or are there alternatives that will be just as protective but at a lower price point?

Any advice would be great appreciated. Heres a bad pic of the bike, I snapped it fast and didnt think to check the quality before leaving.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Welcome!
Really nice scooter you got, there, but you already knew that, right?

Slip-ons: really good idea! I'm partial to Rush, I have a set and so does my wife. They have a great, deep tone without being ridiculously loud, and breathe better than the stock. There is absolutely no reason to have the dealership do this, it's a quick job with basic hand tools. You will want to add a set of Nightrider X14iEDs as well. They aren't strictly necessary, but offer great peace of mind and help keep the engine cool.

I would get the extended warranty. You probably won't need it, but it is peace of mind.

You can't do better than Fox Creek jackets and pants from a cost/benefit standpoint. It doesn't fit as closely as the HD stuff, but is much thicker and less expensive. The HD FXRG gloves are the best I've ever worn, and worth every penny of the (high) entry price. When it comes to helmets, you get what you pay for. The problem is, they only last for five years before you need to replace them, even if you never drop it. So, unless I'm racing, I have a lot of trouble spending the $500 it takes to get a good Arai or Shoei. I've had good luck with HJC (world's most popular helmet manufacturer) at a much lower price ($150 for the full-face model I have). It saved my life, no possible doubt. I also have half and three-quarter helmets that I wear fairly often.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:26 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Great looking bike. Good deal, too. Since it is not under warranty, I would get the extended. Price on them is always negotiable. Helmet, jackets, gloves etc. are a personal preference. Over time, you will find that you will accrue a variety of jackets and gloves for various riding scenarios. Plenty of sites available with good quality, inexpensive gear. I believe helmet should be tried on at a brick and mortar for correct fit. Many slip-ons available; easy to install, no need to do anything with pipes when doing slip-ons. Vance and Hines, Cycle Shacks, Rush, many more out there. All good, different sound from each. Ride your bike for about 1000 miles before any mods, that will give you plenty of time to do a lot of research and decide what ya need. Then start your mods.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always have been a little partial to that color

Good luck to you that it ends up in your driveway

Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 PM
arm_xl1200c
Cruiser

Nice looking Low you got there my friend. Not a bad price on it either.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Non11
Cruiser

Thanks for the replies, all great info.

I've heard that slip ons may make the bike run lean and a flash from the dealer or tuner is needed to fix this. Do those "Nightrider X14iEDs" fix that issue? Or does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM

Slip-ons don't make a bike run lean anymore. That was true with carburetion, but EFI compensates.

The X14iEDs do make the bike run richer, though. Instead of running at 14.7:1, with these, the bike runs at 13.7-14.0:1. This is enough richer to fix many stock running problems (stumbling until warm, for one), and will alleviate any concerns of running with slip-ons. Dealer flash only raises the redline, it does NOT change the AFR at all. A tuner will, but is overkill unless you are racing.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Non11
Cruiser

Great! Thanks for all of the info, hopefully I'll be bringing her home tomorrow.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new bike and completing the MSF - very smart move.

My girlfriend recently bought the same bike in the 2006 version after completing her class as well.

When you go on a test ride, keep in mind, the 1200 will be much more powerful than the MSF bike you rode, so adjust throttle and friction zone input accordingly.

I too would recommend an extended warranty.

Slip-ons you can do yourself without having to worry about adjusting air/fuel mixture. They're called slip-ons because they slip on to the end of the existing pipes, replacing the mufflers you have now; you don't have to do anything with the actual pipes connecting to the engine.

Helmets vary a lot in price, but mainly due to weight, comfort and features. Shoei's and Arai's are top of the line, but also cost 2-3 times more than other helmets... but other reputable brand helmets will protect you just as well for less $, such as HJC, Scorpion and others. This is entirely up to you, but I recommend going to a store and trying them on to see which style, brand, and size fits you best. Put it on and leave it on while you're in the store to see if it's still comfortable after a little while.

Gloves and jackets - many, many options to choose from. Jackets: You want thick leather with good stitching that won't rip or come apart under duress - style is your determination, but get a motorcycle riding specific jacket, there is a big difference in the leather used and the manufacturing for motorcycle riding jackets than even the top of the line leather jackets at Macy's - totally different. There are many good deals on motorcycle jackets out there, look around stores and internet, the price range varies greatly with jackets. Try to find something (whether leather or not) that has a removable liner and closeable vents in front and back of the jacket. Some jackets have interior armor in the elbows, shoulders and back, some don't... this is up to you.

Gloves: you will probably want a warm weather pair, a cold weather/water-resistant pair, and something in between... I prefer leather here also, but again, it's up to you. Most motorcycle specific gloves have comfort and protective padding and some also have armored or extra protection where you will need it most, where non-riding gloves will not.

Oh, and practice, practice, practice what you learned at the MSF on your new bike, and keep practicing. And when you're more comfortable, keep practicing some more ;-)

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by caberto; 05-16-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice bike.
I work at the dealer you bought it from, but I was off Saturday (Bob Seger concert).
I originally sold that bike new to a very nice lady who was in tears when she had to sell it back to us (medical issues prevented her from riding).
It's like brand new.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 XL 1200L.