Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a 2008 XL 1200L.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Non11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow small world! I feel for that lady, but I'm glad to have it.

I don't want to put a new seat on or bags yet, but I will need to carry a few things with me when I ride to work. Is a normal sized backpack and a bungee cord to strap it to the back of the seat the way to go for the short term, or will it end up working itself free? Is there a better way to do temporary storage?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
lildee
Tourer

Congrats on passing the MSF course and looking at a HARLEY!

I'd recommend that you buy the warranty since it hasn't been ridden much (depending on price also). I purchased my bike from a private party and thankfully it has been pretty solid! However, it had about 2100 miles on it. The price point on your bike is about right....but you should check KBB just to be sure.

I'd wait on exhaust for a few months...get used to riding the bike and figure out what style fits you. My bike had screamin eagle slipons on it and it wasn't loud enough for me...lol After a few months, I purchased the V&H side shots...and now it's obnoxiously loud and I LOVE IT! Slip ons would cost somewhere about 300 or so and full exhaust such as V&H about $500... Maybe you can find other sportsters locally while you're out and decide by hearing them. We found the mechanics at our local dealership didn't do a great job on simple things like oil changes etc.....you might want to find an Indy shop if you need service.

As for gear - I loved the SHOEI helmet over the Arai's, but that's my preference. I'd say stay away from the modular helmets if you're looking for a versatile helmet. I've seen so many on display that were broken and the quality was lacking. Helmets are definitely one you must try on for at least 15 mins while in the store. The other good brand is HJC.

I'd recommend buying both a leather jacket and a textile jacket. Seeing how it's almost summer, you might just start off with a textile jacket and wait till the winter to purchase the leather. First Gear makes decent jackets...buy jackets that have a removable liner and zippered vents.
You can always look online at CYCLEGEAR.com, they have all kinds of stuff...but if you find things you like, look online. Look on craigslist also, they have lots of used gear...I wouldn't buy a helmet used. No need to feel you HAVE to dress in HARLEY gear, it's just a name brand - (an expensive one at that...lol)!

Good luck on the bike, ride safe - a 1200 has A LOT of power to start off on!

Last edited by lildee; 05-16-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Man o man 150 miles,,2008,,,1200 Low,,,7500 Bucks,,,

SUuuWeeeEEeet Deal !

Buy a Service book,,,
an put some miles on that thing.

I got the 2008 1200R,,,Plenty of power
X14ieD's,,,,got em,,,
Mustang seat..Got It,,,Vintage Solo 12.5" wide
Thats all I really needed the rest was just candy

Last edited by Osco; 05-17-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
nivram39
Advanced
Default nivram39

Nice ride man. I have an 06 XL1200L and it the only way to go. Hardly ever drive the old Ford. I ride my Sportster everywhere. Keep the crome up and the rubber down.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Non11
Cruiser

Brought her home today and rode her all over the place. I have to say my first ride home on a starry night was unbelievable. I've told everyone I know so far that its the best purchase I have ever made hands down. I think I have a new addiction already...

I ordered some Python 3 slip on's, x14ieD's, got a service manual, put on a laydown license plate holder, got my veterans plates on order and picked up some leather, a helmet, gloves, and rain gear.

I even got to slightly lock up the rear brake(whoops!) because the morbidly obese chick in the honda civic in front of me decided she had to have a burger in one hand, a phone in the other, drive with her knee, and keep her eyes everywhere but in front of her resulting in an out of nowhere slamming on of her brakes. Good emergency stop practice.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:40 AM

Very cool, enjoy your new ride!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Non11
Brought her home today and rode her all over the place. I have to say my first ride home on a starry night was unbelievable. I've told everyone I know so far that its the best purchase I have ever made hands down. I think I have a new addiction already...

I ordered some Python 3 slip on's, x14ieD's, got a service manual, put on a laydown license plate holder, got my veterans plates on order and picked up some leather, a helmet, gloves, and rain gear.

I even got to slightly lock up the rear brake(whoops!) because the morbidly obese chick in the honda civic in front of me decided she had to have a burger in one hand, a phone in the other, drive with her knee, and keep her eyes everywhere but in front of her resulting in an out of nowhere slamming on of her brakes. Good emergency stop practice.
Braking drills,,,,Just do em,,,lots of em,,
Good way to warm up your tires at the start of every ride,,,,

Yep I do em every ride,,a dozen or so,,only takes a minute or two.

Remember to practice stopping at the speeds you ride at.
Superslab,,,75-80 mph,,,You Damn well better be able to stop
at those speeds.
99% of hi speed braking Is just a speed reduction,,most often
to drop 10-30 mph.

As for "a phone in the other, drive with her knee, and keep her eyes everywhere but in front of her resulting in an out of nowhere slamming on of her brakes." etc,,,
If that made YOU have to lock em,,you were to close,,you saw the
burger,,,,,,,follow me ?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:57 AM
WoppaWoppa
Stage I

You did not ask about seats, but I highly recommend Mustang Seats, particularly if you ride 2 up. I have a 2008 XL1200 just like yours. The stock seat felt like a metal bracket up my wife's you know what after an hour - unfortunately we rode for four hours. It was the best $350 I spent.

Also check out Ricor shocks if you think the ride feels unpredictible.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Ken McGough
3rd Gear

I have a 2006 1200L and I love it. I agree, the OEM pipes are lame. I put Screaming Eagle slip ons and they sound great. My neighbors don't hate me. With the EFI you don't have to do anything to the motor unless you change the air intake system. One thing I'm dissapointed in is the scraping in the corners. Pipes in the right turns and kick stand in the left. I ride single and weigh 185. Otherwise it's a great ride.