Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

well I laid it down! and mod question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:33 PM
jimmy85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well I laid it down! and mod question

Well I laid the 48 down today in probably the dumbest way possible. I pulled into the parking lot, stopped, leaned it over and forgot to put the kickstand down!!! What the hell was I thinking?! Oh well, if its gonna happen I guess this is the way to do it. Just scratched a bolt on the derby cover, nothing you can even notice.

So since I've been riding a lot more I've realized one of two things, if not both, need to change. After riding for about a half hour or so my back begins to stiffen up and become sore. So I think I need to change the seat or the suspension. The seat doesn't really bother the back end at all, its just my back thats the problem. I plan on getting a springer seat in the future anyway, and do a little two up riding also. So both will get changed eventually, but which one would help out the back more in the mean time?

Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
CatEyeDallas
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man that blows! Did anyone see you? What kind of bars are you running? You may be reaching too far for them, thus screwing with your back.

-Dallas

Old 05-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air suspension should help, there's lots of threads in here on it

Old 05-14-2011, 02:30 PM
jimmy85
Advanced

Its 100% stock. My back gets stiff from the gym and work anyway so I'm not too worried about it, some stretching and pvc rolling afterwards helps loosen it back out. But I'd like to be able to ride a little longer before it starts getting uncomfortable. Was just looking at the HD springer and Rich Phillips seats. Anyone have any opinions on these two? I think if cange the suspension I'll just go with progressives 412 in like 12 1/2" with a 1" lowering kit. I don't expect to be riding 2 up a whole lot, just occasionally.

No, no one was around ( I don't think), so the embarrassement factor isn't too bad. lol

Old 05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Gay Rider
Banned

Just try remembering your kickstand needs to be deployed prior to unassing the bike... there, no mod necessary.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:29 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy85
Its 100% stock. My back gets stiff from the gym and work anyway so I'm not too worried about it, some stretching and pvc rolling afterwards helps loosen it back out. But I'd like to be able to ride a little longer before it starts getting uncomfortable. Was just looking at the HD springer and Rich Phillips seats. Anyone have any opinions on these two? I think if cange the suspension I'll just go with progressives 412 in like 12 1/2" with a 1" lowering kit. I don't expect to be riding 2 up a whole lot, just occasionally.

No, no one was around ( I don't think), so the embarrassement factor isn't too bad. lol

I had the same problem as you, my back would tighten up after about 30 minutes. I swapped to the springer seat and it was a great improvement over stock. I'll also be throwing on a set of 12" Street Glide air shocks soon to help out even more.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 PM
jimmy85
Advanced

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
I had the same problem as you, my back would tighten up after about 30 minutes. I swapped to the springer seat and it was a great improvement over stock. I'll also be throwing on a set of 12" Street Glide air shocks soon to help out even more.
yeah I'm looking into those too. Do you know if these http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

are the 12 inchers?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:35 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe so but don't order them direct from HD. Check around the classified here and on ebay. You can usually pickup complete sets of stock take offs for less than $100.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:39 AM
Iron916
Advanced

I am looking into Harley air shocks as well. It was either progressive 412 or air shocks and it looks like air shocks will ride better....based on what i've read, but most everything is biased one sided opinion.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 PM
jimmy85
Advanced

Originally Posted by Iron916
I am looking into Harley air shocks as well. It was either progressive 412 or air shocks and it looks like air shocks will ride better....based on what i've read, but most everything is biased one sided opinion.
I'm curious how much of a difference there would be between the 412s, or even 430s and air shocks. Hate to nit pick but the air shocks aren't all that attractive looking.

Hey YOURADHERE, have you concidered any of the progressive shocks with the springer seat?

Quick Reply: well I laid it down! and mod question