Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-mapping bike instead of tuner???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011 | 05:45 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior

I love my carbed 06. Cheep and easy to tune myself.

Old 05-14-2011 | 05:47 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior

hmmmm

Last edited by Nubz; 05-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2011 | 07:04 PM
woodybear
Cruiser

I have a 2010 1200C that I installed Rush 2" slip-on's on. After I installed them I thought the bike ran a little rough at lower RPM's so I asked my dealer about it an he said I could run that way but suggested I do a Stage One Download if I wanted to get full benefit from the new exhaust. They did the download for $148.00 and it runs great. I'm not sure where 2010IRON883 is getting his information he doesn't say but I think he is wrong. It's my understanding when a Stage One Download is done you are changing (remapping) the ECM so it will adjust the fuel injectors and the sensors to account for the change in the new exhaust pipes. A very good explaination of how all this works is at http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/m...efi_basics.htm.
Just my 2 cents.

Jack

Old 05-16-2011 | 11:32 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

Ok i am getting my info from harley davidson of wytheville. Call them and ask if they can remapp without a super tuner or some sort of tuner. They dont do this at my dealership or they didnt when i bought my 2 brand new sportsters. Believe me i wanted the short shots and heavy breather too and i was advised that there is no way to get around installing or buying a super tuner or some sort or ecm programmer. Now im not saying your wrong but a dealer can tell you what ever they want and charge you $148 bucks. there is no way to prove they have dowloaded anything to your stock bikes ecm. I can hook mine up directly to my laptop. Some of my info may be wrong but ive done everything in my power to get around buying a $500 tuner and unless i wanted my bike to run lean i couldnt get around it. Maybe your dealer has something new and different but that doesnt make me wrong

Old 05-16-2011 | 03:12 PM
sorensentyler
|
Road Captain

that is why they call them the stealer. you have to tell them what you want. or they are going to rip you off royaly. of course they are going to tell you that you need to buy the $500 tuner, more money for them. they are the dealer so you automatically think they're right. question everything.

Old 05-16-2011 | 04:43 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2010IRON883
Ok i am getting my info from harley davidson of wytheville. Call them and ask if they can remapp without a super tuner or some sort of tuner. They dont do this at my dealership or they didnt when i bought my 2 brand new sportsters. Believe me i wanted the short shots and heavy breather too and i was advised that there is no way to get around installing or buying a super tuner or some sort or ecm programmer. Now im not saying your wrong but a dealer can tell you what ever they want and charge you $148 bucks. there is no way to prove they have dowloaded anything to your stock bikes ecm. I can hook mine up directly to my laptop. Some of my info may be wrong but ive done everything in my power to get around buying a $500 tuner and unless i wanted my bike to run lean i couldnt get around it. Maybe your dealer has something new and different but that doesnt make me wrong
where u live? I want to make sure I don't stop by there and ask for a download.

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:43 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

To get a stage one download you have to have a tuner. Google it. The dealership isnt the only one that told me this. ask joseph major at eastern performance! I didnt pay $500 but thats what they wanted for a super tuner. Actually they knew i wasnt going to buy a super tuner from them when i found one on ebay for $250. You dealership where that may be is the first time ive heard of doing a stage 1 download without a tuner. They may be a ble to flash your ecm but there is no way to tune it. How does it hook up or how would you tune it without the hd program.

Old 05-17-2011 | 05:51 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer

Maybe you can get a stage 1 down load without a tuner. Im gonna do some more research on this. My dealership and two others near here does not do this! I only spent $250 on my tuner so its well worth it not to have to take someones word for it on whether they remapped my bike. I know its right!

Old 05-17-2011 | 09:16 AM
fragmentum
Advanced

Originally Posted by sorensentyler
the tuner is $400 bucks i got a power commander when the pipes were installed. and i put on an air cleaner this past winter and didn't have anything done with that yet.
If you have a Power Commander unit already installed on your bike you should NOT need anything from Harley. All you need to do is download and install the correct map from Power Commander for any intake/exhaust mods you have done.
Contact Power Commander about your unit and your mods and they will advise you about the correct Power Commander map you would need to upgrade to.
Look here: http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...s/default.aspx

Any ECM flash from the Harley dealer will be a required lean map, and probably not suitable for your installed modifications.
Simple, efficient and hardly any cost (if any).

Old 05-17-2011 | 11:21 AM
2010IRON883
Tourer
Default Ok i admit i was wrong but the super tuner is just makes more since to my application

I was wrong about the download but keep in mind the super tuner has alot more options. I got my super tuner for $250 and was brand new they cant be used on more than one bike anyways. Ive talked with my mechanic and here is what he wrote me on the subject and this is why i chose what i did. I just copyed and pasted it from my email.

Justin,

We can do downloads on all bikes. We just have been doing them mostly on the
older bikes. We strongly suggest the super tuner because it has different
options. And if you want to have a dyno job done, the download won't help.
It all has to do with what each owner is wanting to do on their own
motorcylce. The biggest thing is that they say they won't do anything else
on their bike, but over time, they change their minds and I get some more of
their money. We just try to understand what everyone is asking for by asking
them questions of what they may want done on their motorcycle.
The super tuner has programs in it for Harley-Davidson products. But if a
person wants to do a download, we will do it. Then later, if they want to do
something else on their bike, we can do another download for them. Only
thing is that they wasted the first download. With the price of 2 downloads
and labor, you almost have the price of the super tuner. And if they need to
have the bike dynoed, then it is going to cost more $$$.
Hope this is a help to you.

Thanks,
Everett