Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011 | 04:50 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior

i bought mine and the stealer gave me a 20% off first 1,000 service. So it was not that bad. Take it to another dealer if one is close since they lied to you.

Old 05-14-2011 | 04:02 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Post the 'stealers'

Originally Posted by Reblyel
How do you know if the 'stealers' do anything other then change your oil? You dont go back with them to watch them do a service the majority of the time, you sure dont in this area.
In most reputable dealerships they should have a QC maintenance checklist of items to check, ask to see the report, else its at their discretion, and we all know how well that works, right?

If they aint got, tell tehm you will go somewhere else and want the maintenance allowance returned, noting the non-full disclosure you mentioned herein.

Old 05-03-2012 | 05:05 AM
weekendsurfer
Intermediate

hey everyone,

sorry to dig up an older threat, but wanted some opinions. my 1k service is due and the main dealer in town quoted me $430 for the service. Need to get a quote at another place (luckily, i personally knew the GM before i even bought the bike). Is $430 a general ballpark figure for the service? i am NOT mechanically inclined, so that explains why i'm not doing it myself. :P

Old 05-03-2012 | 05:42 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

My selling dealer quoted me $280.63 with tax for the 1K service. It will end up being slightly cheaper since I will ask for Amsoil and is less expensive per quart there than Syn 3.

Old 05-03-2012 | 05:47 AM
IBGary
Road Captain

I look at the 1st service as part of buying the bike. Each of the 6 bikes iv bought had a 1st service at either 500 or 1000 miles. Honda, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph. It was free on one or two, but I don't remember which.
Cheap insurance, why risk voiding the warrenty.

Old 05-03-2012 | 06:40 AM
CanuckSporty
Road Captain

It's $275 where I am, but I did it myself.

Old 05-03-2012 | 07:50 AM
Shortdawg72
Advanced

With my first sportster I took it to the dealer for the 1K service (out of fear of voiding the warranty) and had a friend who runs a small independant shop prerform all the services after that. I changed the oil once myself but I did not have a motorcycle jack and it was a big hassle. Other than oil changes I did all of the other wrenching myself. With my new bike I plan on doing all of the service myself, making sure to document it in the manual along with keeping all of the receipts. I've been riding street bikes since I was fifteen and I am comfortable working on them and even more so after owning my last sportster for eight years. Just like everyone else said, you can do it yourself or have a non HD shop do it for you. Just make sure to keep the records maintained.

Old 05-03-2012 | 03:07 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I bought my bike from CL. The bike had 1300 miles on it and was told by the seller the 1000 mile service was already done. At 1500 miles I decided to change all the fluids and the plugs. Guess what? The seller lied. The plugs and oil were original. So 500 miles too late I ended up doing the service myself. Except for the air filter which I will be replacing. My point is, it's easy to do yourself. Get the service manual and torque all the fasteners yourself. For the $400 price your dealer quoted you can have most of the tools. Except for maybe the torque wrenches. But after that, guess what? You can now do it all. Oh, if you think you can't, look in the manual plus look it up on YouTube. Adjusting the clutch and chain tension is easy as pie. Lubing the clutch cable is actually a little harder but that's not even too tough.

Last edited by baka1969; 05-03-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2012 | 05:07 PM
PanterA101
Tourer

Originally Posted by Reblyel
How do you know if the 'stealers' do anything other then change your oil? You dont go back with them to watch them do a service the majority of the time, you sure dont in this area.
You can watch at my dealership. We have an upstairs with a pool table and **** with windows looking down into the garage.

Old 05-03-2012 | 05:17 PM
diflow
Intermediate

I was on the fence about this for the last month. I ended up getting it done for several reasons, including not having a space where I love to work on it, to simply having the piece of mind that the dealer is responsible post-service. I picked it up yesterday, and I really was impressed with the feel of the bike. They adjusted my clutch, used synthetic fluids, and gave me my state inspection for a little under $300. The bike just seemed happier and smoother today, so I was happy.

I heard horror stories about this service, but in the end I'm glad I did it, and from this point on I'm hoping to handle all other maintenance myself. Whatever you do, good luck.

Quick Reply: Do I HAVE to go to harley for my 1k check up?