Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I too tall for a Sportster 1200? I'm 6'7"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 01:11 PM
TooTallJoe
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I too tall for a Sportster 1200? I'm 6'7"

All your help is appreciated.

So I am looking at purchasing my first bike and my budget is somewhat limited. The problem that i'm running into is that I'm pretty tall (6'7" 220lbs and 36" Inseam) and not everything fits. I'm going to look at a '91 Sportster tomorrow that looks like it has forward controls, but at the Harley dealership yesterday I monstered the bike. I'm looking to use it to commute from work back n forth, and on the weekends. I live in Long Island so there will be more stop n go than in most places.

With a limited budget what are some modifications that I would be able to do to the bike to help me out?

Last summer I rode a Suzuki Intruder that seemed to fit me pretty well and I was rather comfortable on it.

What other recommendations would you have to help me find a bike that would fit?

Thanks for your help!

~Joe

Old 05-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Hawg295
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, you are tall. The Cavaliers are looking for a few good men. The only thing I could tell ya Joe is see if you can ride it a couple of times to see how it feels. A different seat and handlebars might adjust so you can stretch out more on the legs and arms. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer

Damn dude, you're a foot taller than me! Get one of those KTMs that has a chest height seat for me. Sweet bikes! Seriously though, you might be able to get away with forward controls, but check wheel bases. The Vrod looks pretty long. But if you're an Islanders fan buy a Vespa.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I would say if you do get it,apes would be a necessity.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, you're not too tall.

But you need to ride one and see how the riding position feels to *you*. Keep in mind that the forward control pegs on a "C" model Sporty are not quite as forward as highway pegs would be on, say, a Softail or a Touring model.

By the time you swap out the bars, add highway pegs and extensions (and crash bars), and get a seat that puts you back a couple of inches, you're probably up into the price for a FXDC or something else that may give you a little more legroom to start with.

Of course, you may like the riding position the way it is. I've seen guys your size riding Gixxer 600s and just love it.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM
TooTallJoe
Stage III

Thanks Faber. The bike is selling for pretty cheap and is in good shape, so I'm hoping that if I'm able to do some work on it to get the right fit for me, it will be worth the investment. Just wanting to make sure that its even possible to make it work.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I'd have to say you're stretching the limit with a Sporty. Not that it's a bad bike, but your size will make you look like a "shriner on a clown bike." Check it out, but might want to look at something a tad more comfy...JMO.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM
plasmadaddy
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm 6' 4" and I hated riding a Sporty when my bike was in for servicing.
Even with forward controls I wouldn't think you'd be comfortable.

I'd save for a softail if it were me!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
TooTallJoe
Stage III

Iceman- I'm getting the feeling that you are correct. Everything I've read so far makes it seem as if the sportster just isn't the one for me without doing a lot of work. There aren't many other models out there right now that I can get onto within my price range right now.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

Wow, At least you can always reach the top shelf. lol. I say ride it and see how it feels and think about some forward +2 controls and ape hangers tilted a little forward. with a low seat. http://www.debrix.com/2-Extended-For...p/44088-k1.htm
http://www.debrix.com/20-Ape-Hanger-...25-0856-vt.htm
I'm not a big fan of apes on a Sporty, but I don't think you would be comfortable with drag bars. And don't forget, with the ape hangers your going to need longer wires, cables, and lines.

Quick Reply: Am I too tall for a Sportster 1200? I'm 6'7"