Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork Brace Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 AM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1200Cdriver
I do not run a brace, see no need for it, my front wheel stays planted and never shakes, ever.
My front wheel never "shook" either.....nor did I get any "wobble" at any speed. However, your front forks will still flex whether you feel it or not. If you put a brace on the bike you will then notice how much different it feels and how much that front end was really moving.

But if you don't feel you need it thats cool too. Just wanted to point out that the front end doesn't need to be going bezerk for a rider to notice an improvement with a brace. At least that is what i experienced and a few friends who are running the superbrace like I am.

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
That's because you have a front fender on...you don't need a brace with a front fender because that's what the fender acts as.
Will the front fender add some sort of strength....yes, I am sure it does. However, the inner front fender support isn't much heavier than standard sheet metal. This is nothing compared to what a properly designed fork brace provides. You can straddle the front tire between your legs and still twist the handlebars to a pretty staggering degree.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1200Cdriver
A truth is never irrelevant.
No but it probably is better suited in a different thread.

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Will the front fender add some sort of strength....yes, I am sure it does...
Again, I never said a fork brace wasn't needed! The OP asked if she should get one AFTER he removes his front fender NOT use a fork brace in conjunction with his front fender. I agree with you all that fork braces provide support in most conditions and I'm actually looking at getting one but that's not what OP's question was.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Jackal
Road Master

After removal of my fender, (only rode it home with fender) I put about 300 mi. on the bike on all types of road conditions...grated up asphalt, etc. After installing the Progressives, ALL of that wandering / road sensations have practically disappeared. That said, I have a Superbrace on the way. I'd absolutely start with springs though. Best $50 you could spend for certain.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM
fatguy-littlebike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive ridden with and without a front fender and cant tell the difference. i seriously doubt the fender supports anything. not saying the brace wont improve things but if youre shaking or vibrating up front you have bigger problems

Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 PM
dremeda
Cruiser

I have ridden with and without a front fender on my 2011 Nighty and couldn't tell the difference either. None the less, I added a Superbrace and that's where the game changed. The front end feels completely different and wouldn't ride without one now

Old 12-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

What's it look like on your bikes? Everyone has one, but no one has pictures of said brace.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM
dremeda
Cruiser

This is the only crappy picture I have since putting mine on. I'll try to get a few pics here soon.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM
waverly
Advanced

I just recently installed the superbrace on mine, and it made a noticeable difference over bumps and rough roads, for sure. Would def recommend it.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
I run a superbrace on my Nightster. I was expecting an improved ride through the twisties...what I was amazed with is how much improved the handling was in general! It was like a completely different (and much improved) bike! If I did it all over again....the superbrace would be one of my first handful of mods.

Sorry....no pics with it on the bike. However, it isn't really noticable anyways so here is a pic of my fenderless sporty:

That's a good look. I especially like the rear fender. Where did you buy that it? I am assuming it came without cut outs for the brake light, or holes for license plate.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
That's a good look. I especially like the rear fender. Where did you buy that it? I am assuming it came without cut outs for the brake light, or holes for license plate.
Thanks.

Rear fender is a standard sportster fender with everything filled in actually.

Quick Reply: Fork Brace Suggestions