Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sportster accessory... ever.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Sportster accessory... ever.

Geico stroked me a check on Friday to cover the damages incurred by my little encounter with a deer. Damage wasn't actually all that bad and since I'm doing all the work myself I opted to get a table lift.

The wheel clamp that comes with the lift is junk so I replaced it with a wheel chock. Had to drill some new holes in the table and pick up some shorter carriage bolts but, all in all, no big deal. Working on the bike now is pure joy. My back is very grateful. Wish I had done this sooner.

Lift:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...ift-91764.html

Chock:
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

I had a coupon for the lift which knocked the price down to $299. Wheel chock was on sale for $39.99.

Here are a few pics. Please excuse my disaster of a garage.

Last edited by inswva; 05-01-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 PM
CutandWeld
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago...made installing my rigid struts and air cleaner SO much nicer! I welded some longer braces to the stock clamp and now it works fine, but I am gonna build a really nice one here soon. I'm also gonna modify the ramp so it lays down when the lift is up, rather than sticking out or having to removed it.
For everyone else, if your interested, there was a coupon in their circular that knocked that $200 off.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 PM
ai17828
Cruiser
Default bike lift

That lift has been on my list to purchase for some time. I'm currently taking donations from my buddies that like to come to my garage and work on their bikes. And you're right about the back pain. The other day my bro and I were working on his bike removing his starter. My back was hurting for a couple of days.

Now let's see some pix with the lift down and the bike parked on the lift. My plan is to buy this and place it where my sporty is parked now (in the garage) in order to save space.

Good idea on the chock replacement.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:04 PM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've wanted one of those table lifts, but with only a 20' wide one car garage at my condo, the Ranger, Sportster and all that other garage stuff like you got, no room for one.

Hope there's enough $$ left over so you can get a new rear tire. Looks like that one has seen it's share of miles, or a few burnouts!

Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM
MrCookie
Tourer

Originally Posted by TSD1959
I've wanted one of those table lifts, but with only a 20' wide one car garage at my condo, the Ranger, Sportster and all that other garage stuff like you got, no room for one.

Hope there's enough $$ left over so you can get a new rear tire. Looks like that one has seen it's share of miles, or a few burnouts!
If I remember right, that lift sits fairly short. so you could put it in the center of your garage and park your ranger over it. as long as you keep it centered. That way it's out of the way, and you have it when you need it.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm soooooo jealous, I've wanted a lift for so long now, I bet it's great working on ya bike with that thing :0)

Old 05-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have thought a solo seat so the ol lady has to stay home would be the best but nice lift

Old 05-02-2011, 08:07 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TSD1959

The bike lives in my workshop/"play" garage, which is in the lower level of the house. The upper level has a very nice two car garage with coated floors, drywall, textured ceiling, climate control, windows, etc. But, my wife won't let me play in that one.

As for the tire, it's a Metzeler ME880. They look bald in the middle when brand new, lol.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 AM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

at least you can see the walls in your man cave

Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Ins, I live approximately 400 miles north east of you at the entrance to the northern neck of Va. I keep my bike in my model airplane building shop that is 22.5'x24'. Its ok to have lots of "stuff". I have friends and flying buds in Blacksburg and Tazewell. I get by with a Sears yellow jack for which I made some custom oak spacers to keep the jack pads from contacting the exhaust on my 1200C. It looks like you have a Metzler tire on the back, how do you like it? Thanks, Dave

Attached Thumbnails Best Sportster accessory... ever.-bagger-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best Sportster accessory... ever.