Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sporty Story...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Sporty Story...

A story for you guys in celebration of all HD's and especially the Sporty.

So, after years of having the urge and doing nothing about it, I finally got my permit a little over 2 years ago on a Thursday. On the Saturday, I went to my local HD dealership with the intention of "just browsing". I walked out about 2 hours later with a brand new Iron. Needless to say, it was love at first sight.

Having never ridden a bike, the dealership delivered it on the following Tuesday. I started riding it in my neighborhood, only in 1st gear at the start. I was so slow, the local kids on their BMX's were passing me fist pumping!! Eventually 2nd gear came, and then the rest. I put on about 500 self taught miles (in February, in PA!!!!) around town before my safety course came around in the Spring. I passed that, getting my full license.

Now on my Iron I have nearly 8000 miles and have done some great trips, including a 550 mile round trip to the PA Grand Canyons, there and back in one day with my buddies!!! I was deaf, sun burnt, no sense of smell, had tinnitus and back ache for about 4 days afterwards - but it was well worth it!

This year I decided I wanted more. I love my Iron, but I wanted more. I wanted a rear seat (for my wife), louder pipes, mini apes, forward controls, most of all, I wanted more torque!

I had grand ideas for my Iron and had about 5k budgeted. More than enough to get everything I needed. I did all my custom parts research and decided upon what my custom Iron was gonna look like!

But guess what; when I was in the dealership pricing everything out, I came across a newly traded 2004 Sportster (Black/Chrome) Custom 1200 with everything I needed in my Iron upgrade - and they offered it for $5k WITH a years official HD warranty. Then the dilemma hit me, do I customize my Iron or end up with 2 bikes? I took the latter option, it really had everything I needed, looked like new (pre-loved) and it seemed like the sensible most bang for the buck deal.

So now I have gone from a complete newbie to having 2 wonderful rides. Brings a smile to my face when I walk into my garage. My wife and I have a mini tour planned down to Virginia in September; so it is all coming together! I love both rides, even though they are from the same Sporty family, they are just so different. The difference in 883 versus 1200 is "wow". The difference in riding position (mini-apes and forward controls) is a nice change from the Iron stance. Not sure about all the Chrome on my 2004 though! The twice a year "hose down" of the flat Black suits me just fine!

That's it really, didn't want to bore anyone, but just wanted to share my gradual evolution into all things HD and celebrate the Sporty!

This is a warning to all new and potential riders / owners, SPORTY'S ARE EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE AND YOU MAY EXPERIENCE SERIOUS FUN AND BECOME DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY!

Enjoy yours and ride safe

Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
kountry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats sounds like life is pretty sweet right now.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM
MokeyJoe
Cruiser

Enjoy....ride safe!

Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm happy for you. Good to hear when things fall into place. Here's a tip for a good ride, Hit the Skyline drive and ride it down to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Keep going to N. Carolina, just do it during the summer.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
SambaSangre
Advanced

Nice also to hear about a satisfied dealership customer...ride hard!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:25 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a similar story, but I was 7 and it was a Z50 Honda dirt bike. It never got old, 25 years later and I still get that same cheesy grin every time I ride. Congrats man. Have fun and be safe.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah,,He gets It,,,
Sportsters...A Damn fine motorcycle they are !

Old 04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful story!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Murdered_Iron_883
Advanced

I enjoyed your sporty story... Like they say two is better than one

Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 PM
GN LEE
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys for your replies. Yeah, even though I have no false illusions and I know I am still a newbie and have a lot to learn.......it's definitely in the blood now......hooked is an understatement!!!!!

Quick Reply: My Sporty Story...