Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If a Sporty is a girls bike...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Rob Robb
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sportster not a girls bike!

I've been riding over 48 yrs. All types & sizes. I've heard people call Sporters "Girls Bikes" but think that's ridiculous. I see men & women on all types & sizes of bikes. I don't think we as bikers should be discriminating against each other. We get enough of that from non riders. I say ride what you can handle & like & afford no matter what it is

Old 12-01-2014, 09:56 PM
Rollbar
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a reply-At least mine wasn't made in China

Old 12-01-2014, 10:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Ride what looks good on you. I think most (in my opinion) poke fun at those who are insecure enough to be concerned of the thought of others that they are on a girls bike or now I guess in your case a man's bike. That's some deep stuff. I personally would never comment unless someone brings it up and then throw in some humor. However, I personally think it's just a way of saying we like them. Guess however, some ask in all seriousness and we should treat them with kids gloves. So in all seriousness, I think you would look good on anything, even a Goldwing...

Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,966 Likes on 4,035 Posts

Originally Posted by WYKKED
The Harley-Davidson Sportster is an American motorcycle that was introduced in 1957 as a competitor for the high-performance bikes being produced by the British that were selling in the United States in huge numbers. The Sportster was one of the first Harley-Davidsons to be fitted with rear-suspension (it’s parent bike, the Model K series was the first) and it was also the first of the Harleys to be fitted with a higher performance, overhead-valve engine.

The look of the new, sportier Harley-Davidson was immediately reminiscent of the popular British bikes that were dominating the sports-oriented motorcycle scene in the late 1950s, it had a very similar profile to the Triumph Thunderbird and proved to be very popular in the same demographics in the US motorcycle market.

The Ironhead 900cc V-twin engine had a 45 degree offset and could produce 40hp at 5,500rpm, it had a top speed of somewhere in the 100mph range and a total weight of 495lbs. Somewhat amazingly, that Ironhead engine would stay in production for 28 years until it was replaced with the Evolution engine in 1986.

This long production run is excellent news for prospective Sportster owners as it means there’s a vast market for spare parts, an immense amount of mechanical know-how and a brilliant community of people around the country who love to meet other Sportster owners, talk shop and offer some hard-learnt advice.

Some in the Harley-Davidson community will try to tell you that the Sportster is a “beginners” bike but I disagree with that sentiment pretty strongly – The very first Harleys were essentially motorised bicycles, they were designed to be light, manoeuvrable and capable of racing against Indians, Cyclones, Hendersons, Excelsiors and Popes with relatively few modifications. The large, highway cruising, chrome plated motorcycles we all associate with the Harley-Davidson brand nowadays name didn’t come about until many decades later, meaning the Sportster is actually the truest representation of the original DNA of the company.

http://silodrome.com/buying-guide-ha...son-sportster/

This. Anyone who things that a Sportster is a girls bike is a douche.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:14 PM
T D
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool

I've had my Sportster for nine years now, still the same one, just a bit differant from when I got her.
In my experience, the majority of peeps that will run down Sportsters have never owned one!!
I had a gobby brat trying to put down my bike (after his Ma had loaned him money for a bandit. Very nice to!) in front of friends.
I just told him that he'd never be cool enuf to ever ride a Harley. He soon shut up!

TD

Old 12-04-2014, 01:22 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by T D
I've had my Sportster for nine years now, still the same one, just a bit differant from when I got her.
In my experience, the majority of peeps that will run down Sportsters have never owned one!!
I had a gobby brat trying to put down my bike (after his Ma had loaned him money for a bandit. Very nice to!) in front of friends.
I just told him that he'd never be cool enuf to ever ride a Harley. He soon shut up!

TD
I have never put them down... but I will admit that I did not get it at first. I remember a conversation with a co-worker (tall, 6'2", skinny dude) where I asked him what we had. He rode a Sportster. I could not understand why a tall guy like him would be riding a Sportster. This was a few years after I started riding, I think that I had the Yamaha Roadstar at the time (in 2002)... My comment was completely out of pure ignorance. Years of being around bikes, wife and now me, owning one changed all that. I get it now...

Old 12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode a Sportster Sport for 9 years, heck of a bike, but they are tall and a bit top heavy. I think HD is doing the right thing for vertically challenged people with the "Low" bikes that they sell now.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Years ago we would see Hulk Hogan ride through Pound Ridge, NY and as big as he was he was either on a Sportster or Dyna.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

It will take a helluva girl to ride mine.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

My Sporty is an 883. How come nobody in the 80s called 350's, 500s or even 650's girls bikes? In fact the only people that try to sexually classify a motorcycle are either people who don't own or can't ride or are mainly other HD riders trying to justify there 20k+ motorcycle purchases. I plan on buying a bagger in 2015 simply because i've spent a lot of money trying to make my bike into a bagger which no matter what i do it will never be a caddy of a motorcycle. My Sporty will just have to park beside it cause i aint selling or trading it in.

Quick Reply: If a Sporty is a girls bike...