Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struggling with the purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:47 PM
armyhooah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a week or two before I really have to decide if I want to take the New Iron or get a used one.

I am still undecided, I really like the warranty and stuff, but with the money saved I could just put a grand in the bank and wait for failure if it happens.

We will see. I am not sure I want a big twin, I like smaller bikes. So a RK or larger is just to big for my taste right now. But the Wide Glide seems just about right, but for the price difference I can't see spending that much.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a year old 1200R with 1800 miles,, a 2008 model,,last one made.
No regrets,,,saved $2,500 off a new one.

GET THE RUBBER MOUNT,,,,,,and get a 1200 especially If your wife Is gonna
end up hangin with you on a Big bike one day..

883 tachs about 4,200 rpm at 75 mph,,
1200 tachs 3,500 rpm at 75 mph,,,nuff said.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Greatscott
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by armyhooah
I have a week or two before I really have to decide if I want to take the New Iron or get a used one.

I am still undecided, I really like the warranty and stuff, but with the money saved I could just put a grand in the bank and wait for failure if it happens.

We will see. I am not sure I want a big twin, I like smaller bikes. So a RK or larger is just to big for my taste right now. But the Wide Glide seems just about right, but for the price difference I can't see spending that much.
Are there not alot of used bikes available in your general area (within 100 miles)? Out here in Southern California craigslist is loaded with fairly low mileage used bikes. Tons of people out here that pop 10 grand for a new bike along with $1500 worth of gear and then decide that they are scared or just not into it. Almost all of the newer used bikes advertise that they come with a bunch of overpriced HD gear. I don't think I would ever consider a new bike living out here. All 3 of the bikes I've owned have been used. The first 2 were purchased from people who I would consider to be rich, and could easily waste money on new bikes AND THEN PASS THE SAVINGS ON TO ME. HAHAHAHAHHA. Let the rich people pop for the new bikes and then you swoop in and save the day when they decide they are chicken to ride it.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by armyhooah

Repeating--don't buy a sportster unless you want a sportster. If you want a Dyna (which is a big twin, along with Softails and touring models) then go that route. But I've been down the road you're considering and it's the most expensive in the long run. I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they were happy with what they got out of their sportster when they sold or traded it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
jcasella
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let someone else eat the depreciation, buy used.
I have never used a warranty on a bike in 30 years (other than recalls)....
To me it s more of a pain in the *** to get them to dealer than to fix it myself.
If you buy used you won't lose anything significant selling later if your not happy.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I see 1200 sportsters all the time for 5-7k. I'm talking like 2007's with <1500 miles. You can tell the people who bought them just didn't take to riding. Check your local paper or craiglist.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Repeating--don't buy a sportster unless you want a sportster. If you want a Dyna (which is a big twin, along with Softails and touring models) then go that route. But I've been down the road you're considering and it's the most expensive in the long run. I don't think I've ever heard anybody say they were happy with what they got out of their sportster when they sold or traded it.

Yep this. I've been eyeballing a new fatboy lo for over a year now. I gotta say I wish I bought one when I bought the sportster. Although it may have been too big for a starter bike. If you're going to by a sportster because you want an entry level bike, get a used one and save some cash. Lord knows I wish I did.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In spite of what other people say they do with their Sportster, consider what the factory intended the bike to do and not do. You can ride two up on an 883, at highway speeds, but it will be a less than thrilling experience, rubber mounted or not. A 1200 is just a bored out 883 and for a lot of years were on a common frame, so as far as ease of use for your wife, a lot of used 1200's would work also. I see a lot riders buy something like an Iron and just bury themselves financially with extras on the bike. Before you know it you could have had a Superglide for the same money. Don't let miles on a used bike scare you and don't be too **** about how the bike was maintained. Harleys are big ticket purchases and as such most people take reasonable care of them. At the end of the day, they are a pretty reliable and well made vehicle and are made to be ridden, not jacked up in a bubble in a garage. Get what you want in the first place. Identify what's important then find it for the right price. BTW, photo is of 1200 I bought in April for $2K.

Attached Thumbnails Struggling with the purchase?-100_1209.jpg