Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011 | 06:29 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Incidentally, ethanol fuels are not worse for pinging, actually they are better for it.
Please stop stop !!

Where you get this pseudoknowledge!?

Ethanol has higher octane than gasoline, thus added ethanol increases octane of cheap gasoline, resulting octane is what standard requires.

The alcohol/ethanol fuels will not pre burn like gasolines will, and that is what pinging is (fuel burning before the piston is in it's firing range at TDC plus-minus a few degrees). Pinging is also called pre-ignition, for this reason.
I even do not know what to say about this nonsense.
There may be pre-ignition, yes.
But this is not the pinging which is directly caused by too low octane fuel. This process is different, after fuel-air mixture is compressed and ignite it starts combustion, this is what we want. However, if octane is too low for given engine the last part of this mixture detonates, this is the ping and this is what we do not want.

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:10 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Then take a whiff of 110 octane race gas, and all is right with the world! LOVE that smell.
When I worked at the airport, I used to drive around a truck with 1200 gallons of 110 in it. Nothing like learning how to drive stick in that thing, on an inch of ice, with a few million dollars worth of jets parked around you. (of course that stuff would be a terrible idea for road bikes)

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:25 PM
kaybeetoy
2nd Gear

I usually run 91 or above, but sometimes I run 89 octance from Murphy's and my 08' 1200 Custom runs fine with no pinging.

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:38 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Please stop stop !!

Where you get this pseudoknowledge!?

Ethanol has higher octane than gasoline, thus added ethanol increases octane of cheap gasoline, resulting octane is what standard requires.
First off, if you had read my post properly you would see that you and I agree here. What I said was that ethanol fuels are not worse for pinging, meaning that they have a less likelyhood of doing so... follow the bouncing ball here! Ethanol fuels burn at a hotter rate i.e. higher octane, meaning that they resist pre-burn. Ethanol on an octane scale is higher than gasoline, again, we agree... no need to be a rude idiot here.

I even do not know what to say about this nonsense.
There may be pre-ignition, yes.
But this is not the pinging which is directly caused by too low octane fuel. This process is different, after fuel-air mixture is compressed and ignite it starts combustion, this is what we want. However, if octane is too low for given engine the last part of this mixture detonates, this is the ping and this is what we do not want.
Pre-burn/detonation/ping occurs when the fuel enters the engine and burns before the piston has made it's full travel. The inertia of the engine forces the piston upward while the hot engine pre-burns the air-fuel. The explosive force fights the piston's upstroke, which causes engine damage. Low octane fuels are not the only cause of pre-ignition/ping, but is the main cause of the damaging pinging.
Incidentally, I don't understand why you have to be a rude idiot about this. You clearly misunderstood what I said. I have built several high horsepower race engines, and yes, I know a thing or two about how them internal engine thingers operate.

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:45 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Please ... stop!

Engines are designed to run certain octane of fuel. Think of this as shoe fit. You do not want it big nor small, it has to be just right.
Our Sportster engine is designed for 92, so that's the correct octane for us.
Running lower octane creates ping, which is detonation, an unwanted process. Depending how severe it is it may destroy piston rings, damage pistons and connecting rod bearings.
Running higher octane than designed for your engine is less dangerous, it just burns a little slower, in extreme cases it may burn your exhaust valves, normally you just lose a tiny bit of fuel economy.

There is absolutely NO truth to the shoe fits theory. It is perfectly fine to run higher octane fuels than what your engine recommends, you will just be throwing your money away to the tune of $.20 or so more per gallon by running higher than needed. The differences between 87 and 93 octane are not anywhere NEAR enough to cause poor burn, nor will it cause burnt valves. Running extremely high octane fuels such as Turbo Blue or other race gas can by theory cause some carbon buildup over a long time of prolonged use, but this is mostly due to the leaded content in the fuel. The biggest issue comes with clogged converters and other emissions equipment, but again this is from the lead content.

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:46 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Osco
Dammit Man !!!
I ain't never smelled that stuff,,,cool
It is like a clean, sweet smell. You owe it to yourself to smell it at least once in your life.

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:53 PM
Challenger
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by DizWolf
When I worked at the airport, I used to drive around a truck with 1200 gallons of 110 in it. Nothing like learning how to drive stick in that thing, on an inch of ice, with a few million dollars worth of jets parked around you. (of course that stuff would be a terrible idea for road bikes)

DizWolf, what airport you work line at? I used to do lineservice. Flying Citations now

Old 04-25-2011 | 09:47 PM
DizWolf
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Challenger
DizWolf, what airport you work line at? I used to do lineservice. Flying Citations now
I was in Buffalo working for Prior at the time. Got pretty good at de-icing dash-8's in a hurry. Heh, had a citation almost blow me into a Caravan I was parking once (again, stupid ice he went full throttle behind me to break his wheels, without mentioning he was leaving). I had fun while working there, but was lured away to play in waterparks. An endless supply of 17 year old lifeguards trumps stewies any day.