Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bobber in progress!!! (project in the making)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 AM
oddsnap
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mreed
Looks great! Should've chopped that cam cover before you coated it!

Bro, this is going to sound dumb but I really didn't know that was an option :-P

Old 04-24-2011, 04:45 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's one of mine.

There's alot more material on it than what is needed. If you choose to run without a sprocket cover it keeps it from looking like something is missing and gives it that lean/mean vibe!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need me a chopped cam cover. What are the torque specs on the bolts that hold it on?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:22 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I need me a chopped cam cover. What are the torque specs on the bolts that hold it on?
I can't remember but it's not much. There's a gasket back there.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

I can't remember but it's not much. There's a gasket back there.

Me and my buddy bobbed out a sporty a few years ago. He did a lot of mechanical stuff, while I did the body/paint/welding. He had a lot of stuff sent to the powdercoater - including the cam cover. I remember he had a lot of trouble getting it back on and having everything line up. He wound up having HD put it back on.

Doesn't someone sell these covers already trimmed?

Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Me and my buddy bobbed out a sporty a few years ago. He did a lot of mechanical stuff, while I did the body/paint/welding. He had a lot of stuff sent to the powdercoater - including the cam cover. I remember he had a lot of trouble getting it back on and having everything line up. He wound up having HD put it back on.

Doesn't someone sell these covers already trimmed?
Not that I know of.

You can't just pull it off & put it back on. That cover is THE outside support for the cams. When you pull it off the pushrods drop and you have to loosen the rockers to relieve the pressure to get the cam bushings perfectly aligned with the cams. I've heard of ppl getting away without doing it but it's rare.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Murph918
Advanced

From your first post on this thread "April 22 | Cutting the original Rear Fender and making it custom... put that dremel to work "

I'm glad you stated using a dremel... I've been looking around for a cut off wheel and overlooked the choice of using the dremel tool I have in my garage... your comment saved me some money, Nice pics and thread. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
oddsnap
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Murph918

I'm glad you stated using a dremel... I've been looking around for a cut off wheel and overlooked the choice of using the dremel tool I have in my garage... your comment saved me some money, Nice pics and thread. Thanks!
I'm glad I saved you some $$$, and thanks for the compliment on the thread.

@mreed - that does look pretty cool, That might be a later on project.

If you guys have any other suggestions let me know, I am very open for ideas

Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Not that I know of.

You can't just pull it off & put it back on. That cover is THE outside support for the cams. When you pull it off the pushrods drop and you have to loosen the rockers to relieve the pressure to get the cam bushings perfectly aligned with the cams. I've heard of ppl getting away without doing it but it's rare.
Hmmm, I swear I just saw on the XL FORUMS that RSD or some manufacturer sells a trimmed cam cover. Could be wrong.....

I can trim mine - doubtful I could get it back on w/o a tech or a knowledgeable person like you, Mike.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Tooloe
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, I swear I just saw on the XL FORUMS that RSD or some manufacturer sells a trimmed cam cover. Could be wrong.....

I can trim mine - doubtful I could get it back on w/o a tech or a knowledgeable person like you, Mike.
when i pulled my cam cover it came off without a hitch.. just make sure to take it off evenly.. I have the #2 cam start to come out and i gently....gently kept pulling and the cover came right off i pushed the cam right back in... no problems at all so far

Quick Reply: Bobber in progress!!! (project in the making)