Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a smaller battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Drdriller
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for a smaller battery

I have a 1200 custom and am installing a V&H Fuelpak. I cannot fit the pack on the side of the battery, like the instructions suggest. I am looking for a smaller battery, or someplace to shove the fuelpak. Does anyone have any suggestions for a smaller battery. Autozone has a smaller battery for about $80, but I am afraid it won't last.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

This is a re post from SBryant original thread:

"With the battery relocated to under the oil can It needed a MUCH smaller battery tray which meant I needed a MUCH smaller battery. This proved to be a real PIA to find a battery esspecially when it comes to maintaining the min. CCA ratings required. Well there are 2 companies, yes only 2 that I could find, that make smaller batteries for Harley's. One is called Ballistic Performance and the other is called Shorai. They are lithium batteries that are typically used in race bikes but now develop batteries for V-Twins. No need to charge or run a tender on them and actually put out a ton more CCA than the stock HD battery or any other. The great part - they are super small and only weigh 2 lbs vs the 12 lbs stock HD battery. I like the HD battery but just couldnt fit it in the space. The cost of the lithium battery is 180 bucks, a little steep but I had no choice. Ill keep everyone updated as to whether these batteries really stand the test."

Some links here:

http://www.ballisticparts.com/

This application chart from ballistic recommends the 12 cell version for our bikes:

http://www.ballisticparts.com/tech/s...php?manu_id=32

http://www.solomotoparts.com/manufac...Fc4M2godMBaYHw

Shorai Batteries (Sportster specific):

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-56550-XL-Sportster.aspx

http://www.shoraipower.com/p-153-lfx14l1-bs12.aspx

http://www.shoraipower.com/images/product/lfxspecs.pdf

Last edited by joebotics; 04-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i stuck my power commander under my seat that's rigid mounted and have good clearance, ecm went in the batt. box with the orig. batt. and **** fits fine. pretty sure the fuelpak is smaller than the pcIII. i know yuasa makes one. if you go to their website you can put in your year/make/model.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Thank you, joebotics! Great information.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Dammit, how I'm supposed to use it, methinks my alarm goes off when battery is disconnected.
Originally Posted by Ballistic 12 Cell EVO 2 Battery
DO NOT: Do not charge a Ballistic Performance Component Battery above 14.4 Volts. This will damage the battery. Do not charge or attempt to maintain charge with a trickle charger. Do not allow the battery to be completely drained, this will damage the cells. If your powersports vehicle has a parasitic draw like an alarm of similar devices, disconnect the battery when not in use.
Failure to adhere to these charging specifications or exceeding these limits may cause battery failure and will void any potential warranty claim.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Von_Zipper
Dammit, how I'm supposed to use it, methinks my alarm goes off when battery is disconnected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic 12 Cell EVO 2 Battery
DO NOT: Do not charge a Ballistic Performance Component Battery above 14.4 Volts. This will damage the battery. Do not charge or attempt to maintain charge with a trickle charger. Do not allow the battery to be completely drained, this will damage the cells. If your powersports vehicle has a parasitic draw like an alarm of similar devices, disconnect the battery when not in use.
Failure to adhere to these charging specifications or exceeding these limits may cause battery failure and will void any potential warranty claim.

I would not worry too much about that... if the stock battery can handle the parasitic draw from the security/alarm system... I am certain this one can too... I imagine they are talking about an extreme situation where you leave your bike parked for months (winter, prison, alien abduction).

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Saltwaterwop
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shorai Batt unboxing and review..
Plus, this guy has some other interesting fix-it and bike related vids I enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W3Tt0mgRHQ

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

OK, my battery is at the end of it's life ... decided to go Shorai ... WTF ... out of stock?!

Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
I imagine they are talking about an extreme situation where you leave your bike parked for months (winter, prison, alien abduction).

Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

Hehee, actually I can build a charger that satisfies their requirements. Lead battery chargers usually just keep the current and do not care about voltage, trickle chargers do impulse. What this battery needs is a charger that kicks in when voltage drops under certain level, charges with a sane current (like 1-2 A for a motorcycle battery) and disconnects when voltage exceeds upper limit, 14.2 V would be a safe coice.

Quick Reply: Looking for a smaller battery