Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gear do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
jimmy85
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gear do you wear?

So I picked up the bike today, (2010 Forty Eight) now I need some gear to go with it. More concerned with the jacket. I live in MS and it get F*****G HOT! So I'm thinking of something with a removeable liner and all the padding and such, maybe some reflective material. Any suggestions/tips on good brands, things to look for, fit?

I'm thinking of getting some of these for boots >>> http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=10294201
I need some new work boots anyway, and they look like they'd offer good protection.

So what do you all wear? post some pics if you can, cause why ride if you can't look cool doing it?!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Depends on the weather. I wouldn't recommend steel toes for riding though. Pretty annoying to get them under the shift of our bikes.

Pretty much leather wise I went with the cheapest Cow leather that was 1.1mm thick or more. Worked well for me.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
jimmy85
Advanced

I rode a little today just around the apartment complex with my georgia's on, which are steel toed. Didn't seem to have a problem, but I will keep that in mind when I start riding more. I would think the steel toe would give even more protection.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

T shirt, jeans, boots, sometimes leather shoes. Non DOT'd helmet. I don't ride in shorts, rocks hurt.

Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
dfndr
Road Master

Most of year I use Motoport/Cycleport kevlar, not mesh kevlar. When real hot I wear Dainese mesh. Always wear the Motoport pants even tho ly gets up to 110 here. Just keep moving! All my clothes are armored.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Ret50
Cruiser

Harley brand is great quality but $$$,,I've had leather, (they usually run 1 size smaller then what the tag states,,ie, be careful buying used off ebay,,might be too small). Can't beat the looks of leather..I now have 2 HD brand nylon/cordura or what ever it is,,fit is accurate,,quality is great..would suggest removable liners, zippered vents for ventilation and maybe some type of armor.. makes them pretty versatile..Had the cordura on at 40F and behind a fairing and was very comfortable 85F without liner and opened vents..warm but tolerable..as for harley boots..had a pair,,heavy,,uncomfortable..used about 8-9 times and ebayed them..I'm sure other brands are just as good...but this is what I'm familiar with..

Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 AM
E Smitty
Advanced

Jimmy,
I think eventually you will find yourself with several variations of gear. Start slow, you don’t have to spend a lot. Jeans, boots, coat, gloves and a good helmet. There are coats with removable liners and vents that work well. Look on craigslist for deals.
Don’t fall prey to opinions of what people will tell you is cool or how tough they think they are because they ride in a T-shirt with a little piece of plastic on their head. You will decide what you wear depending on how you ride and the environment you ride in.
For example, I ride with sport bike riders because that’s how I like to ride even though I end up throwing a lot of sparks doing it. When I ride with them I wear full thick (Langlitz) leathers, boots, gloves, and a full face Arai helmet. I’ll let the posers get the road rash.
I really wouldn’t recommend steal toe boots. While they are great if you drop a 2x4 on your toes, if a car runs over your foot it might cut your toes off.

Bottom line (well mine anyway), wear what you want and have fun.

Congrats on the new bike.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 AM
patton02
Novice

Harley full face modular, Icon black timax 2 mesh jacket, jeans, and black combat boots.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Shadow_otw
Tourer

My typically high body temp screws me in the cool leather department...I'll sweat like a half-nude ***** in church, but I wear it anyway.

I have two helmets: A HD full face modular and a Street & Steel half.
As for jackets, I have a leather and a Frank Thomas that I love.

For boots, I wear Converse Mil-Spec 8" thall composite toe boots.

Golves, well I have some great winter armor ones that sit ion my bag, and a pair of cheapie Home Depot gloves that I love....but thats just me.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:07 AM
Vins
Club Member

Scorpion half helmet, jeans, Hein Gericke leather (they don't make anymore) and Danner Ft. Lewis insulated boots. Two piece rain suit on the wet days.

Quick Reply: What gear do you wear?