Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gear do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmy85
..That being said, I found a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 jacket on Dennis Kirk. Has some padding, reflective material, decent price (by the way i'm not being cheap here, but I don't want to pay $6-700 for a jacket) etc. Is this brand pretty decent?
Looks like a decent jacket. I'd question if it's comfortable in hot weather. It has CE armor and a decent back protector. Doesn't have bicep straps, apparently.

It's worth it going to a dealer to try on jackets. Most of them are pretty competitive with online outlets, and will make deals if you are buying other accessories.

But if you know your size, look on eBay. You can get some phenomenal deals from people who found their jackets shrank over the winter.... I bought a once worn Olympia Phantom suit for $250 - $430 new - and an AirGlide for $130 delivered. Motorcycle Gear (used to be newenough) is an excellent online vendor with reliable service and reasonable return policies - that's the "gotcha" in online purchases.

The best online forum I've found for gear reviews is the gear forum of advrider.com.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm not influenced at all by whats cool and whats not, its about function, protection and comfort. Ok and a little about looking bad ***.
That's how I feel. And having had a get-off at 40+mph, I am thankful I wear proper riding gear.

Joe Rocket is a reputable brand. Though I much more prefer British Motorcycle Gear and Rev'it.

Rev'it is made in china though, so I usually go to them only if there is nothing matching their quality made in the US.

Aerostich has good US made stuff too though.

Like a previous poster said, I too rode home from an accident that would have put me in the hospital, if not killed me, had I not been wearing a FF helmet.

I feel a responsibility to say that every time I see posts by people who feel the need to post that they wear NO safety gear. Especially when they post in a thread specifically asking about which safety gear to wear. It's as if they need to validate how cool they are even online.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
kountry
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vans levis insulated flannel work gloves and a bell 3/4. Sportbike is a different story full leathers when I'm on that bike it's time to go to work on the mountain. Have fun ride safe.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Scionic Wraith
Advanced

It depends. I have a 3/4 helmet with face shield, Guantlet winter gloves with rain shield, Mesh jacket and matching pants. Both jacket and pants are armored and have a rain liner and thermal liner, it's what I used this winter for the 20 degree chill and I use them for rain. Spring and Fall I use a non riding leather jacket, leather chaps, and half helmet. For the summer, I'll admit, just jeans, dew rag, and a shirt, long sleeve though, my mesh summer gloves go past my wrist and gives me a ridiculous tan line. As for boots, just have some Durango leather boots that work great for Spring, Summer, and Fall but suck in Winter.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
rdb1976
Road Master

Harley Spartan half-helmet (H-D doesn't make it anymore...I bought mine brand new on eBay)
Harley Hi-Vis Functional Mesh jacket
Jeans
Altama ExoSpeed Desert Combat Boots (left over from my Army days, but comfortable and durable)
Craftsman Mechanic Gloves

Old 04-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Relbus
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Dr. Martens or converse. Jeans and t-shirt with a flannel.

I love my Dr. Martens. Probably 10 years old and look every day of it, but comfy. No steel toes.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ATGATT here. Fox Creek Grayson, Stone Lake leather bibs, Chipewa steel toed, leather gloves and fullface Arai. I would love to do the t-shirt skull cap thing, but need to dress for the crash.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
hig4s
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jimmy85
So I picked up the bike today, (2010 Forty Eight) now I need some gear to go with it. More concerned with the jacket. I live in MS and it get F*****G HOT! So I'm thinking of something with a removeable liner and all the padding and such, maybe some reflective material. Any suggestions/tips on good brands, things to look for, fit?

I'm thinking of getting some of these for boots >>> http://www.drmartens.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=10294201
I need some new work boots anyway, and they look like they'd offer good protection.

So what do you all wear? post some pics if you can, cause why ride if you can't look cool doing it?!
I wear a Tourmaster Intake Air jacket all the time.. http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=269&cat=3 It is mesh with dual liners. A rain/wind liner you put in when it gets cool, and then a second insulated liner when it gets cold. For me, depending on what I wear under it, its good from 70 to 100 degrees with no liner, 50 to 70 with the rain liner and down to mid thirties with both liners. Above 90 I usually wear just a wick-dry tank top under the jacket.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool No skin graphs for me,,,

HD modular full/flip face,
Kevlar lined jeans,,

Breathable heavy jacket with elbow n shoulder armor,,
It's actually cooler In the summer than just a T-shirt
cause It keeps the sun off,,
Damn thing Is full of holes. Wind goes right thru it.

Over the ankle boots,,combat style/jump boots..
Full fingerd gloves,,three pair for different heat levels,,

I don't like the Idea of holding a belt sander to my flesh while
Its wide open till It draws blood and meat,,,
then throwing a handfull of rocks and sand on the wound and
pressing It In through several layers of meat n skin,,,,

Just to spend weeks In a Hospital while they cut skin off me for graphs,
and do the 24/7 suck thing to draw blood Into the graphed skin.

I figger a ground up elbow or knee would suck to.
I've seen helmets after crashes,,
The one I rememberd most had a perfect Imprint of a yard sprinkler In
the top,,,you know the brass broadcast heads,,was a good half Inch deep
In the helmet.
The Guy had It hanging on His hospital bed,,he was out In four days,,,
the crash was only 35 mph,,,head first into that sprinkler...
He would live to ride another day XD

Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

It's getting in the high 75 nowadays but even when it's 90 I wear my FoxCreek Leather jacket...the leather is very thick but it has good vents so I don't suffocate.

I have leather boots to protect my feet and still using FoxCreek gauntlets..might not have to use them anymore soon :-)

Quick Reply: What gear do you wear?