Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gear do you wear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 AM
jackolo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definitely don't pull off the "Harley" look well... "Dress for the crash" lol Plus the weather here is crap. I prefer textile over leather and I like items that work well rather then look good.

Nolan N43 Helmet (NCom compatible and versatile)
Harley Throttle 3-1 Jacket (A bit too "black" for me but I like the armor, hoodie layer and price!)
Dainese 4 Stroke Gloves (Dainese makes top quality racing gear and I find the fit works well for me)
Rev'it! Axis Over-Pants (Armored, waterproof and quick to get off and over my regular pants)
Sidi Vertigo Boots (Some of the toughest, comfortable and agile boots I've owned. I have 3 pairs of sidis)

Old 04-19-2011, 02:51 AM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Converse, levis, T shirt (sweatshirt if cold), lil joes vest, and a full face helmet

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converse hi-tops, tshirt, hoodie or leather jacket and sometimes all three, sometimes gloves, no leather gloves my hands sweat bad. 3/4 Licks DOT helmet and some transitional sunglasses. I have a mesh jacket with armour but prefer just a tshirt in temps above 75. You'll figure out what u like quick. Enjoy your new ride!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
FishStick
Cruiser

I always wear boots, jeans, leather jacket, riding gloves (leather for cold mesh for warm) and if I am going over 50mph a full face helmet

Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E Smitty
I think eventually you will find yourself with several variations of gear. Start slow, you don’t have to spend a lot. Jeans, boots, coat, gloves and a good helmet. There are coats with removable liners and vents that work well. .............

You will decide what you wear depending on how you ride and the environment you ride in.

I really wouldn’t recommend steal toe boots. While they are great if you drop a 2x4 on your toes, if a car runs over your foot it might cut your toes off.

Bottom line (well mine anyway), wear what you want and have fun.
I'll have to agree with E Smitty for the most part. The only thing I disagree with is on the steel toed shoes. All my shoes are steel toed, except my athletic shoes, as I get all my shoes, even my HD shoes, through work & they are required to be steel toed. Hell, even my dress shoes like you'd wear to a wedding, are steel toed. I've never had an issue shifting. Just wear what you are comfortable with and can afford. Sometimes I'm in full leather, (jacket with removable liner and vents, chaps, and my HD leather steel toed boots), and DOT full face or mostly the half helmet. Most of the time though, I'm in a T-shirt, plain jeans, novelty helmet, and HD steel toed shoes. Wear what you want & not what you think others will think is cool.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Garandman
Tourer

Originally Posted by jimmy85
So I picked up the bike today, (2010 Forty Eight) now I need some gear to go with it. More concerned with the jacket. I live in MS and it get F*****G HOT! So I'm thinking of something with a removeable liner and all the padding and such, maybe some reflective material. Any suggestions/tips on good brands, things to look for, fit? //

So what do you all wear? post some pics if you can, cause why ride if you can't survive a crash doing it?!
FFY

I rode in various gear for 25 years. Then when I moved to Boston and had kids I got serious about safety gear. Lucky, too as in 2007 I was hit from the side by a car in a construction zone and got knocked over going 40mph or so. Five state troopers showed up because they couldn't believe I not only survived but rode home. So it's ATGATT for me.

First Gear makes a textile jacket called the Mesh Tex 3 that is very light, has OK armor, and can be worn in very hot and humid weather. Widely distributed, many sized and colors, $150.

Vanson leathers are heavy, hot, and provide the ultimate in protection. That's
what I have for a track suit. But you'd die in hot weather. But they make a really cool jacket called the Vent Max 4 that provides some protection and comfort and is the most open mesh available.

I wore Danner Fort Lewis boots for a few years (wide feet) but they leak after about 30 minutes in the rain, so I've switched to dedicated motorcycle boots which have armored heel cups. They also don't have a conventional welt which can trap your foot under the bike in a crash, causing major damage. I've been wearing Daytona Roadstar GTX, about $400. Like Jackolo, I like the Sidi Vertigo and wear them on the track as they are also available in wide (called Mega).

Held, a German company, makes gloves that are split Kangaroo skin (seriously). It turns out split Kangaroo skin is much stronger than split cowhide. Expensive, worth it.

For seriously hot weather I wear mesh textile gloves. I'm amazed to see riders without gloves these days: the old timers know better. I used to wear some perforated leather gloves but the textile ones are more comfortable.

What do I wear the most? Olympia Motosports AirGlide, high viz. Great jacket from 30 to 85 degrees.

Last edited by Garandman; 04-19-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM
jimmy85
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Picking up some good info here. I think I should explain my position on gear. As of now, being a new rider, and probably until the far far future I plan to wear at least helmet, gloves, jacket and boots at all times, why? Cause I've worked in a Trauma Center/ER for 4 years. I've seen some pretty "interesting" (nurse talk for f*cking gross!). Road rash is more than a bad scratch, it will tear your fingers, toes and other limbs apart or off (literally). No lie, I've seen a guy with road rash sooooo bad, it took his nipples off. OFF! And thats not the worst. So I'm not influenced at all by whats cool and whats not, its about function, protection and comfort. Ok and a little about looking bad ***.

That being said, I found a Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 jacket on Dennis Kirk. Has some padding, reflective material, decent price (by the way i'm not being cheap here, but I don't want to pay $6-700 for a jacket) etc. Is this brand pretty decent?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always wear full face helmet, boots, leather gloves & leather jacket, same jacket for summer/winter but has zip out liner. It may get hot in the summer if I get into some stoplights but I don't want to skimp on safety for a little comfort. Ocassionally in town which is 35mph or less and maybe once a month I wear no safety gear and what's funny the few times when I don't have my helmet on I am amazed at the valve train noise.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Cpitch
Road Master

sometimes I'll wear on of these if its a little chilly out. i feel it offers superb protection and style at the same time.

Attached Thumbnails What gear do you wear?-images-2-.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
MokeyJoe
Cruiser

Try http://www.jackets4bikes.com/

It is where I got my summer jacket http://www.jackets4bikes.com/p-246-n...et-orange.aspx. It seems to work for me. Inexpensive, but a tad on the cheap side. Thankfully I can not attest to the crash quality.

Quick Reply: What gear do you wear?