Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back problems vs. stock suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:27 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterBaynton
Ok.....I am 40 years old, and have been riding since I was 16. I have had back problems for the last 15 years, but nothing terrible. I have always had sportsters, and have never done any suspension upgrades. I was recently diagnosed with spondylolisthesis (my lumbar spine is sliding off of my sacrum). I will have back surgery next month, but don't want to give up my sportys. I know that I am getting up in years, but really don't like the looks or handling of the bigger bikes, especially the "geezer glides." What is the best suspension upgrades?? Not the cheapest, but what gives the smoothest ride?? I am currently on an 09 Iron. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
My older brother had that surgery and it was a life changing event, not for the good I am sorry to say. Get a second or third opinion cutting on your back should ALWAYS be the last resort.

RAL

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM
HDCruzin
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why you shouldn't hook up the air lines on air shocks. Would give you more ride adjustment flexibility if needed. My SG shocks weren't very good with no air, so it may depend on the model.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Nightglidr
Advanced

I'll be 49 this fall, screwed up my lower back around 10 years ago. Gave up riding and a lot of stuff that I used to do ( back packing, kayaking, skiing). Decided to try and get back into riding 4 years ago, started off on a Vulcan 900 LT Custom to see if I could handle her with out back issues, worked good but lacked top end speed.
Fast forward to today, I have an 06 Street Glide with stock shocks, put an adjustable back rest on it, modified the seat ( cut down the stock foam and put an inch of memory foam on it) still waiting to get out and try this configuration out.

Anyway, I also bought a 1999 Sporty this spring, pretty much stock, except for engine modes (was 883 now 1200). I installed a LaPera Spring solo seat on it, and removed the shocks and installed solid struts in place of the shocks to give it that rigid look and lower the ride. It looked cool but the first few pot holes I encountered sent shock waves through the old spine, and I knew that I could not ride like this. Thought that the seat springs would eat up most of the bumps, not!
So yesterday, I removed the struts and re-installed the shocks. I was pleasently surprised that it did not raise the seat height too much, I can still plant both feet onto the ground, and I'll tell ya, what a nice and smooth ride she is now. My buddy was following behind me today and he said that he could see both the seat springs and the shocks really compressing alot. We went over some shitty roads that would normally have me cringing and pulling my *** of the seat going over some of those X#@$% bumps, but I didn't have to do that at all. It was kind of nice for a change, a relaxing ride!
This set up may just work for you, not too expensive and looks cool too.

So now this has me thinking that this might be my next upgrade for the street glide.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
eviltwin415
Tourer
Default ohlins or air shocks

I have a herniated disc in my back that hits the sciatic nerve on the left and the nerve that goes to my right nut on the right. It REALLY sucks. When I traded my bonnie for the N, I really regretted it for the first few weeks on the stock shocks. I ordered Ohlins from the motorcycle metal guy on here and they made a very noticeable difference. I still wouldn't call it a soft ride. I think air shocks might be even better for you though. I'm starting to get some arthritis now in my coccyx and am considering switching to the air shocks.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You have a serious enough problem that demands a serious solution. If you take time out in the Touring section you will find one reason there are secondhand air shocks available is because they are replacing them with something better.

I agree with eviltwin415, phone Howard at Motorcycle Metal and get some custom-built Ohlins. I have them on my Glide and they are truly remarkable things. Howard will build to your needs.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Garandman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MasterBaynton
Ok.....I am 40 years old, and have been riding since I was 16. I have had back problems for the last 15 years, but nothing terrible. I have always had sportsters, and have never done any suspension upgrades. I was recently diagnosed with spondylolisthesis (my lumbar spine is sliding off of my sacrum). I will have back surgery next month, but don't want to give up my sportys. I know that I am getting up in years, but really don't like the looks or handling of the bigger bikes, especially the "geezer glides." What is the best suspension upgrades?? Not the cheapest, but what gives the smoothest ride?? I am currently on an 09 Iron. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to my world. I'm 58 and one knee is well trashed from various activities. While I can ride a sport bike or a Sportster for an hour or so at a time, I spend most of my time on a V-Strom. Like other adventure touring bikes, it has a very relaxed, upright riding position, a substantial seat, and lots of suspension travel: over 6" at each end (others are more). Enduros have the pegs back so you can stand up easily (on dirt roads and trails).

The closest TMC has ever made to a bike like this is the Buell Ulysses, but it has a 17" front wheel which is good for performance but not for ride, at least on rough surfaces.

I've purchased Ricor IAS shocks and Intiminators for the forks, which should provide some plushness over bumps, eliminating the shock otherwise transmitted through the bars and seats.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I have a Firebolt and while I don't suggest it as a suitable bike for a rider with back problems, they do have superior suspension to most Harleys, so ride quality is much better. Hence my earlier suggestion to buy better quality shocks to help with increasing rider comfort.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 AM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
If you take time out in the Touring section you will find one reason there are secondhand air shocks available is because they are replacing them with something better.
This is an unfair statement. True, touring riders absolutely upgrade for something better, but that's because they are TOURING bikes. Much heavier and different weight displacement. But take those stock touring air shocks and put them on a skinny 550 lb. bike and it's a major improvement. I have '10 SG shocks on my bike and it's a world of difference. I paid $130 for them and they were practically unused, compared to dropping no less than 3 times that much on some basic Progressive's or even up to $1000 on Ohlin's or Progressive's piggyback's or some other tailor made shock. Ride a Sportster with the adjustable air shocks and then ride one with some custom made shocks that cost about a grand. Then tell me that the difference between the two rides was worth over $800 as you think about all the other changes that extra cash could go towards.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM
MasterBaynton
Advanced

Thanks, everyone, for your input so far. I do have, and use a kidney belt. It helps....a little. I also have a Buell that, due to my type of back problem, is actually more comfortable to ride than my sporty. And I will settle the dispute about air shocks verses piggyback shocks, as I have purchased a set of air shocks off of ebay for $50. They are off an '03 road king and were taken off when the bike was new. I am also looking into the different brands of piggyback type shocks. A grand is well worth it if it will allow me to keep riding my sportys. Thanks again everyone, I will keep you all posted.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by michaelmartin
This is an unfair statement. True, touring riders absolutely upgrade for something better, but that's because they are TOURING bikes. Much heavier and different weight displacement. But take those stock touring air shocks and put them on a skinny 550 lb. bike and it's a major improvement. I have '10 SG shocks on my bike and it's a world of difference. I paid $130 for them and they were practically unused, compared to dropping no less than 3 times that much on some basic Progressive's or even up to $1000 on Ohlin's or Progressive's piggyback's or some other tailor made shock. Ride a Sportster with the adjustable air shocks and then ride one with some custom made shocks that cost about a grand. Then tell me that the difference between the two rides was worth over $800 as you think about all the other changes that extra cash could go towards.
I already have custom-built Ohlins on my Glide. They are truly remarkable and superior to anything I have ever ridden with, except perhaps Boge Nivomats back in the 70s on a BMW. My SuperLow actually has quite decent shocks and for solo use I don't see the need to upgrade them at present. But we are talking here of an OP who has a serious back problem.

Touring air shocks are cheap budget shocks with mediocre performance. You may well think they are better than stock Sportster shocks, but I don't believe they will give our OP the carpet smooth ride he deserves! We all have the choice of buying different brands and models of shocks, looking for that perfect ride, with the prospect of trying several along the way, or we can skip the lot and buy from amongst the best. That is what I suggest MasterBaynton does, rather than spending precious time and money trying around.

(Written while MB was posting above!)

Last edited by grbrown; 04-19-2011 at 06:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Back problems vs. stock suspension.