Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster shopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Jack Floyd
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster shopping

New here, hoping to get some advice from Sportster owners. I知 shopping for my first Harley, not a big guy at 145lbs and have always loved the Sportster.
I値l be buying used, 5-7K price range, not likely to do any long range cruising, maybe some 500 mile weekend rides but mostly putting around the LA area.
I致e done allot of reading and would like to hear some of your opinions on the following topics:
1. 04 or newer? Does the rubber mounted motor make a huge comfort difference?
2. Low miles/high miles? I知 finding 5-7 year old bikes with almost no miles, I would expect many problems with a car that just sat around that long. What is considered high miles, 10K, 20K?
3. Are the fuel injected bikes more/less powerful & reliable?
4. It seems like a good idea to get a bike that the previous owner has done the typical upgrades, pipes, intake, better seat, bags & so on, the stock bikes seem to be priced the same. Any downside?
Thanks! JF

Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd definitely try to find a 1200cc. You should have no issue finding one in your price range - say 06, 07, or 2008 maybe...

I have 20K on my 883. No problems yet. I hear these bikes can hit damn near 100,000. I'd consider high miles over 30,000 - 40,000.

I don't think there is a power difference between carbed and fuelies, but I may be wrong.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I'd definitely try to find a 1200cc. You should have no issue finding one in your price range - say 06, 07, or 2008 maybe...

I have 20K on my 883. No problems yet. I hear these bikes can hit damn near 100,000. I'd consider high miles over 30,000 - 40,000.

I don't think there is a power difference between carbed and fuelies, but I may be wrong.
If my Sportster doesn't hit 100,000 on synthetics with ease on synthetic lubricants i'll never by another HD. 30-40k should be just broke in.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
If my Sportster doesn't hit 100,000 on synthetics with ease on synthetic lubricants i'll never by another HD. 30-40k should be just broke in.
LOL - Come on, man. This isn't a Dodge Ram Diesel! 40k is well ridden.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check craigslist (and dont be in a hurry- watch it for a few weeks to get an idea of prices and whats out there)... you should be able to get a somewhat low mileage sporty that is fuel injected and probably '07 or maybe '08 for around $7k. lotsa folks buy the bike and never ride it... then realize this and sell. my last two i got that way (both had less than 1,000 miles on them).
mods are nice, but they pretty much gotta be what you like.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If my Sportster doesn't hit 100,000 on synthetics with ease on synthetic lubricants i'll never by another HD.
ABSO F'ING LUTELY

Same for me. I ride 11.000 miles a year here in the north east. 2009 iron. almost 20K on her, no problems except a repeatedly breaking speedo. I will be looking for another bike in 3 years. if I have any engine trouble with my iron, that will be the end of me and harley davidson.

so far, so good though.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

i just checked LA craigslist for "sportster" and the very first bike is an '08 1200 for $6k...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1200 power you WILL want,
EFI starts everytime,,,more expensive to modify and tune at first.
Carbs are Old school,,lots of people love em,,easy n cheap to tune.

Lots of people like ridged mounts,,,I don't,,,why you ask ?
I spend wayyy toooo much time above 3,500 rpms
and I don't want my fillings falling out of my teeth,,
or my mirrors shakin so bad I can't see the Cops sneakin up on me,,
or parts falling off my bike,,,
LOL Kidding,,

Solids are cool,,,Dog bone (Rubber Mount) sporties just make It more enjoyable
spending time above 3,000 rpms,,an thats where I live.
If you like twisties the "Low" models don't have much available lean angle.

Buy a Stock Bike If you can,,seats are a personal preference,,everybodies
*** Is different,,,same with shocks,,
Most say stock shocks suck,,,THEY DO,,But I'm getting along ok with mine,,so far
Because Mine Is not a "Low" Model, I got 3.69" of rear travel,,,wish I had 4"
I want better but the level I want cost mucho dinero,,I will wait.

IMO Stage one Is over rated,,,$1000 for an extra 5 hp and 6 Ft Lbs of torque,,,
ok ok 7 hp an 8 Ft Lbs on a 1200,,CLAIMED,,But I've never seen It.
$1,000 Not this boy.
I ain't met one yet that had anything on my Box stock EFI 1200Roadster

$2,000 buys ALOT more power,,real power,,Stage 2 baby,,,YYyeaahhhh
or THHhhrhreeeee ,,,
Really screw all that,,get a 1200 and learn to handle It.
Make er sound good an If ya remember that sportsters love to Rev
you will have plenty of power.

Only real draw back of the rubber mounts is,,,
The Girls really really Like the solid mounts vibrations,,,
3rd gear doin 50,,,It's Big "O" time XD

Old 04-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

EFI vs carb.

0. Remember, carb works by restricting the air flow to suck the fuel in. All you have is the atmosphere pressure that pushes the air in when the intake valve is open. It already has been restricted by air filter. You do not want another, more severe restriction on it's way.
1. No carb, regardless how sophisticated, can ever provide exact optimal mixture for all possible conditions. EFI can do that.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
rgustashaw
Advanced

For what it's worth...I bought a used 2006 XL 1200 Custom in early March for $7500 from my local Harley dealer. I'd been looking for a XL1200 since early December. Looked at lots of bikes being sold by private parties, other brand dealers and used car/bike dealers. Every bike had under 10k and most were under 5k.

I knew I wanted a carbed 1200 - '05 or '06 for the rubber engine mounts. Prices ranged from $6k to 8k. None of the private owners nor the non-HD dealers bikes had new tires. They could only say the brakes must be good because the bike passed the last PA inspection. Most had little or no accessories beyond stock.

My local dealer had the one I bought sitting on the floor. I wanted a Mustang Vintage Solo and pillion...it had it. I wanted Screamin' Eagle slip on's - it had it. I wanted a Stage I kit...it had it. I wanted the HD Sportshield...yep, it had it. Plus, it had some other goodies I might have bought and installed down the road. Added up, there was $1800+ in accessories on the bike.

The biggest selling points though were that my dealer puts new brake pads and new tires on all his used vehicles. He did a new state inspection, cleaned the bike thoroughly (used bike lots are generally lax in that area in my experience) and he sold the bike new originally and performed all maintenance.

All of that was worth the satisfaction and peace of mind I derived from the purchase. Plus, my business helped to insure he will remain in business for awhile.

This isn't my first bike from this guy and he knows full well I'll do most of my own maintenance and accessory installations but then, he knows the majority of his customers will do the same.

My HD dealer treats all of his customers well whether they're buying a new bike or just a quart of oil. See if the private owner or the used bike lot even remembers you after they pawn their bike off to you. Won't happen.

I know a lot of guys on this forum will take issue with my loyalty to the dealer but there'd be no Harleys on the market if the HD dealer didn't sell new and used bikes.

Quick Reply: Sportster shopping