Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HDs, looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM
tommycarlile
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to first start with my minimal experience. I took the MSF course last June, it was the first and only experience on a bike. I then got a good deal on a stock 2005 883XL. I am close to 290 and am 6 feet tall. I don't understand why people say this is a bike for smaller person as I couldn't be happier. Perhaps it is because I don't have experience with anything larger, but I love my bike. I must say that at the MSF course with the 250 Hondas, some of the maneuvering was difficult. My foot kept getting stuck between the peg and the shifter, but I have big feet and wear a size 13 boot. Anyways, going from that to the 883 Sportster was like heaven, so much easier to ride for me. I love it and it seems to have plenty of power. I was just out for 30 mile ride earlier at highway speeds and had no troubles whatsoever. I figure if I ever want more power I will do the upgrade to the 1200, but I doubt I will ever need it as it has plenty of power as is.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Brett001
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power is not an issue.
How about you go on a 6 or 8 hour ride and see how it goes on a modern stock sportster.

On my 1200 low, I am good for about an hour. That is with different handlebars, different seat, upgraded suspension.
For me, the seat is too low, the pegs too high and forward to be comfortable for long.
On the freeway, the wide 4.5 gallon tank has your knees blowing apart from the wind, I have to use the passenger pegs.

Last bike was a 1969 Triumph Daytona, and i was comfortable doing 12 hour rides on that, even two back to back 12 hour days.

My little TU250 is also good for long rides totally stock, even though its a little bike.
The wife likes the 1200, sundown seat, sissy bar, she thinks its great.
The longer better shocks help a lot.

Guys who like and use forward controls might be more comfortable, but I like mids.
At 6 foot tall, I would love the bike if the seat was a few inches taller, and the pegs were back about 2 or 3 inches.

Also, if you are 20 years old, you can tour the world two up on anything.

Originally Posted by tommycarlile
I want to first start with my minimal experience. I took the MSF course last June, it was the first and only experience on a bike. I then got a good deal on a stock 2005 883XL. I am close to 290 and am 6 feet tall. I don't understand why people say this is a bike for smaller person as I couldn't be happier. Perhaps it is because I don't have experience with anything larger, but I love my bike. I must say that at the MSF course with the 250 Hondas, some of the maneuvering was difficult. My foot kept getting stuck between the peg and the shifter, but I have big feet and wear a size 13 boot. Anyways, going from that to the 883 Sportster was like heaven, so much easier to ride for me. I love it and it seems to have plenty of power. I was just out for 30 mile ride earlier at highway speeds and had no troubles whatsoever. I figure if I ever want more power I will do the upgrade to the 1200, but I doubt I will ever need it as it has plenty of power as is.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brett001
Power is not an issue.
How about you go on a 6 or 8 hour ride and see how it goes on a modern stock sportster.

On my 1200 low, I am good for about an hour. That is with different handlebars, different seat, upgraded suspension.
For me, the seat is too low, the pegs too high and forward to be comfortable for long.
On the freeway, the wide 4.5 gallon tank has your knees blowing apart from the wind, I have to use the passenger pegs.

Last bike was a 1969 Triumph Daytona, and i was comfortable doing 12 hour rides on that, even two back to back 12 hour days.

My little TU250 is also good for long rides totally stock, even though its a little bike.
The wife likes the 1200, sundown seat, sissy bar, she thinks its great.
The longer better shocks help a lot.

Guys who like and use forward controls might be more comfortable, but I like mids.
At 6 foot tall, I would love the bike if the seat was a few inches taller, and the pegs were back about 2 or 3 inches.

Also, if you are 20 years old, you can tour the world two up on anything.
Really???

Most motorcycles don't get ridden for six or eight hours at a stretch, not even Gold Wings. A Sportster can be comfortable for touring, though, without too much modification. Better shocks and seat, fairing, saddlebags, and you're good to go. It pretty well defeats the purpose of a Sportster, but it can be done. Expecting a stock Sportster to be a touring bike is like expecting a dune buggy to be a Cadillac. A Sportster is an awesome "standard" motorcycle. That means that it is capable of doing any type of riding, great at none of it. I'm old, six feet tall, over 200 pounds, and have ridden my Nightster with stock seat and suspension for six to eight hours at a time, stopping only for gas. Comfortably. It isn't a road sofa, and I don't expect it to be, so I ride it like what it is, and enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
"Buy the biggest thing you can afford" is abysmally bad advice. I did that, got a Road King. Loved it on the freeway, hated it everywhere else. So I sold it and bought a SuperGlide. That bike was good at nothing. It was slow, cumbersome, heavy, poorly balanced, etc. So, I sold that and bought a Nightster. That is the bike I should have bought to begin with. It is light and nimble, quick, powerful (for a Harley), and fun to ride.
Perfectly spoken. We ride 2up all the time and its not underpowered at all. It's not to say i wouldn't like to own a Road King for touring adventures but, i wouldn't want a slug of a ride for a daily rider no. Sportsters are definately the most fun HD ride.