Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"jerky" engine perf in certain specific conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TSD1959
I had the same problem when I installed the Bub 2into1 pipe on mine. It flowed the exhaust too freely and stumbled and popped in first gear.

Without the baffels, your exhaust is too free flowing. Sportster engines need a small amount of back pressure, or you will get a stumble when first accelerating, at about 2500 rpm's or so. Install an eyebolt and washer in the end of the muffler, and I'll bet your problem will be solved.

Do a search for "lollipop", there are several threads about it. About a $3.00 mod., so if that doesn't cure it, you're not out much $$. Easy and quick to install, so try that first.
Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy94ss
Maybe put the baffles back in???
Originally Posted by schwingding
Well that's obviously a good diagnostic, but I want to leave them out.
I think chevy is right, put the baffles back in to confirm whether they are the root of the problem or not before you go and spend money on a cable and software. Then take them back out if you like, it doesn't take much time and effort to confirm that.

It does take some time and learning to operate a SERT however, but it is a very good tuner. I had one and had it converted to TTS MasterTune which has some even better features than the original SERT.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Well, as we all knew, putting the baffles in corrected the performance issue. I may try the lollipop solution as well as I really did like the additional decibels. Both solutions are going to be easier than trying to figure out that SERT.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Well, as we all knew, putting the baffles in corrected the performance issue. I may try the lollipop solution as well as I really did like the additional decibels. Both solutions are going to be easier than trying to figure out that SERT.
Well me and chevy didn't know otherwise we wouldn't have suggested it. Yeah, it was easy right?

Now go read up on the SERT, get the cable for 30 bucks and you can download the software for free. Then fix your AFR problem.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
schwingding
Road Master

Originally Posted by Blackcherry Low
Well me and chevy didn't know otherwise we wouldn't have suggested it. Yeah, it was easy right?

Now go read up on the SERT, get the cable for 30 bucks and you can download the software for free. Then fix your AFR problem.
Thanks. i still plan on learning the SERT, where can I get the software? The stealer said he'd give me a cable as he has lots of them lying around, but didn't offer the same for the software.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Thanks. i still plan on learning the SERT, where can I get the software? The stealer said he'd give me a cable as he has lots of them lying around, but didn't offer the same for the software.
Yeah, grab the cable for little to nothing if you can, then try this,
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q7d973

If that does work just google SERT version 4.77 and you should find all kinds of hits for it. You're going to love it.