Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster 883 fouled spark

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Grofb
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster 883 fouled spark

Greetings,

I have tried to find topic regarding my current problem but none of them completely cover my situation.

First, the bike is 883, year of production 2005, with Harley tax (screaming eagle II exhaust, KN filter, and re jetted).

Firs,t the bike takes approximate 10 minutes to warm up while outside temperature is around 60F, before those 10 minutes expires, it stumbles and dies. Also during warm up time front cylinder is puffing black smoke and fouling the spark plug with carbon. Rear cylinder is working normally without black smoke.

On start up I use choke/en-richer only to start the bike and immediate turn it off, and warming up the engine by throttle control.
When the engine is completely warmed up it works great.
The mechanic thinks that nothing can be done since the carb is re jetted and because of more fuel being pumped I am having black smoke in warm up.

Besides that the bike is running greatly!!! Current mileage is 4.200 miles.
Just changed oil, filters, and spark plugs.

If anybody have any idea what is the problem or similar experience, and some advice I would appreciate it a lot!

Ps. I hope that I was clear enough

Regards

Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM
skipperhd1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool spark plug problem?

yeah, i had a 2001 xl883c . i started it the way you do. you can't leave the choke on or you foul the plugs! i started the bike with choke on and shut off the choke after engine started. it was a pain to play choke with the thottle, but i didn't foul any more plugs. i've got an 2009 nightster now with fuel injection, and your starting problem is solved! i'll never go back to a carb!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
woodworking1
Road Master

When did the problem start? Did you do anything prior to problem starting?
It could be as easy as a carburerator adjustment(proper rejet) I would check the compression. Might have a bad ring or something. Your bike should run smooth with the enricher **** out and you shouldnt have to worry about fouling a plug. Could also be a bad plug or wire. Check the plug for a crack in the ceramic. Check your plug wire for cracks or damage.

Oh yeah...find a new mechanic!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed, I think a new "wrench" is in order.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:51 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

On the 2005 sportsters there is a known issue with the valve guide seals leaking. My wife's is the same, not 10 minutes to warm up, but i s a serious issue. Check your oil regularly as you will see it on the plugs. that is what the black smoke out of the exhaust is. Do a search and you will find more info on it.

Drew

Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Grofb
6th Gear

Thanks guys for your replays.

I will for sure speak with "mechanic" again.

The compression is good, and I think there is no oil over the spark, the spark is dry with carbon over the spark, but I will check oil levels. As I sad earlier, the sparks are new. I'm trying to figure it out why this only happens when the engine is not warmed up (black smoke), but as soon as it gets warm the problem with black smoke disappears. And of course warm up time is quite annoying .

Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

If the enrichner (choke) tension is adjusted properly, there is no need to push the **** in, it will go in on its own as the motor warms. You can't expect a cold, carbed motor to run very well without some amount a choke. The amount required decreases as the motor gets warmer.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Grofb
6th Gear

What would be, in your opinion, appropriate amount of choke for my bike (re jetted, sc II, KN filter)?

Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grofb
What would be, in your opinion, appropriate amount of choke for my bike (re jetted, sc II, KN filter)?
It all depends on ambient temp/weather. Cooler days will take slightly longer than warmer & drier days. Full choke & a twist or two on the throttle & hit the start switch on initial start up of the day. If your choke **** tensioner isn't set appropriately to pull the **** in on it's own as the bike warms up, you'll want to push the **** back in about a 1/3rd to half way when you hear the engine begin to rev a bit faster, which could be anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds or so depending on the temp/weather. A little while later, (maybe a minute), you can push it in to the point where it's only 1/3 to 1/4 out. You have to listen to the engine.

I adjusted my choke **** tensioner to where I simply full choke it, two twist of throttle & hit the start button, and the choke **** pulls back in pretty much on it's own as it warms while I finish putting my gear on & then it's all the way in a couple "semi easy" miles down the road. The tensioner is the round grooved peice piece right behind the ****. If you do decide to adjust the tensioner, go in very small increments & don't get too forceful with it because you'll break the plastic & then you'll have to replace the entire cable. Don't even touch the metal nut on the backof the choke mount to adjust the tensioner.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Grofb
6th Gear

Update,
yesterday outside temp was 60F, pulled full choke, running like that 30sec to minute, after that on throttle control, five 3-4 minutes warm up, working like charm. After some 10 mile ride, inspected plugs, they were perfect.

Today, even warmer than yesterday, full choke on start, bike started but even on choke revs were sluggish. after 30 sec it even started to die and a lot of black smoke?! Warm it up by throttle control, but even after 10 miles ride or more every time I stopped idle was on border to die, some times it spit black smoke on front pipe!?

I am pretty confused now.

any ideas?

Quick Reply: Sportster 883 fouled spark