Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pics of new wheeels and rk shocks w 250 tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[quote=kahaone;8179887]Yea, it's just too tall in the rear. With a fat tire like that, it needs a slammed, low profile look. I'm sure those RK shocks are comfortable, but it just doesn't look good like that. And, yes, the seat doesn't seem to match it either.

+1....but i aint gotta ride it.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM
MFarmer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new seat in the works now. I do alot of 2 up riding any idea on a good seat tha would look better? The gap close when im on it. Is there a way to keep the shocks compressed more. I am open for some options on how to fix stuff. Long as it works for me and the wife.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Install a sweet solo/pan seat for yourself and a pillon / phantom pad that you can remove when she's not riding with you. Encourage her to learn to ride!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MFarmer
new seat in the works now. I do alot of 2 up riding any idea on a good seat tha would look better? The gap close when im on it. Is there a way to keep the shocks compressed more. I am open for some options on how to fix stuff. Long as it works for me and the wife.
You are sort of stuck in the middle here.....If you do a lot of 2 up riding, then the set-up you have now is probably pretty good. The RK shocks are supposed to be pretty good for that. And the seat looks like a decent passenger seat too. So, as far as that goes, things are probably about right.
However, it just looks funny with the 250 tire now. Most of the time when you see a big fat tire like that, the bike is lowered and doesn't have a lot of fender clearance. And most of the time when someone does a wide tire swap like yours, it is mostly for appearance, and not comfort. So it just seems strange, funny, different to see your bike set up the way it is.
But like I said before, that's just my opinion. And honestly, I haven't seen a single bike with the 12" RK shocks mounted on that I liked. So it's not just yours. I just don't like the 12" shocks because they create so much fender clearance that it looks like it should be on a motocross bike.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
MFarmer
Advanced

Kahaone you think I could use lowering tabs and that would help? I had the stocker on here with the pad and she hated it. As far as her riding i tried and she just doesnt want to. If the lowering tabs would work ill do that and then go back to the stocker unless she rides Ill go back to this.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about ditching the RK shocks, and go with 11" HD shocks, or a Burley Slammer kit? The seat, well, that could stay as it is, and maybe just have a solo seat for when riding single? But those 12" shocks just give a whole lot of clearance....but, that is what they are designed for, so they are doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing.
I guess you'll just need to figure out what level of comfort, versus what level of appearance you want to go with. I'm sure you will find the happy medium that makes you and your passenger happy.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

drop the rear back down with some 11" progressive heavy duties then you can go with a solo seat and use one of these for her. from what i hear they're really comfy and it pops right off for when you want to go solo......
http://buttybuddy.com/

Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
I think it's too tall in the back. The ride height on the "before" picture is much better. But that just my opinion.

I agree 100% it sit way to high in the rear-Something just look off with it all together-not trying to dog your bike, but just saying.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
GoGetter5832
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MFarmer
had the tire kit for over a year but just put on these pro one wheels on w the 12" rk shocks and black v&h exhaust. Still have to do apes, speedo relocation and possibly paint the motor black. The one with the chrome was before. What you guys think?
What are you going to do with your spoke back wheel and what size is it?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:40 AM
MFarmer
Advanced

I think im going to make a set of lowering tabs this weekend and see what it looks like and if the ride stays the same if not looks like Ill go back to stock till i can get a set of progressive shocks. I like that seat. I have a stick on seat i used to use but it was real hard that one looks better. Im going to have her look at that. Any Ideas on a cool solo seat?

Quick Reply: pics of new wheeels and rk shocks w 250 tire