Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Sport just back from Dealer Servic

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 09:30 PM
sumncguy
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Default New Sport just back from Dealer Servic

Brought the bike in 3 days ago (bought the PC plus should have been in one day out next afternoon) .. anyway

The 1 request / 2 complaints

1. 2500 mile service
2. A burning smell
3. Farting

note on 2 - At first because Im a returneee ... I figured I was a little hard on the clutch, but soon realized I notice a burning smell even when starting it up in the morning for the trek to work.

My receipt says

Job 1 Cust stat voltage Regulator Warranty job -- I didnt mention anything electrical what does this have to do with the problems above. Comments reads

conc 1105 Hesitation/bucks/jerks/surges/on acceleration
cond 1518 Mechanism not working properly
labor 5315 Regulator failure

Job 2 Cust states intake leak
intake leak/replace seals
conc 5410 leaks air or vacuum
cond 2209 leaking not sealing or seating
labor 3511 replace manifold inserts or clamps

Job 3 Cust states smell
tech states found piece of melted blue tarp wrapped around exhause may take a while to burn off.

Nudder note .... It was raining the morning I dropped the bike off. I had a tarp over the bed of the truck. There must have been a hole in it and halfway to the dealer the wind tore the tarp to shreds but the bike was never running from the time it went on my truck until it went on their ramp/in the shop.

Now that you got the picture ... I goes to pick 'er up. He shows me the receipt and I say how was the 2500 mile check up. Good he says. I say how was clutch and throttle adjustment, he says good, tire pressure good too ? Everything fine he says ...

I purposely took the front tire down to 20 psi. What was it when I got home after picking up the bike ? 20 psi.

Also what does the voltage regulator have to do with the "farting" issue ?

Im not getting a warm and fuzzy ...

Chris

Old 10-19-2006 | 09:56 PM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master
Default RE: New Sport just back from Dealer Servic

Yep...I'd be finding another place to get it serviced!

Old 10-20-2006 | 06:54 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Sometimes a dealer will "add" problems on the paperwork that would be covered under warranty so that he can cover his time fixing or diagnosing something else not under warranty. I'm not defending anyone here, only explaining reality...

Old 10-20-2006 | 10:04 AM
sumncguy
|
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

Yes Thump .... but it just seems wrong .... Im waiting on fix my hog .. can anyone tell me where the voltage regulator is located. Id like to take a look.

Thanks Chris

Old 10-20-2006 | 11:04 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

Your voltage regulator should be on the front of the frame's downtube. It is black and it has "cooling fins" on it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for unscrupulous or inept dealers! When I took my 2005 1200R in for recall work on the front master cylinder, they screwed it up by reusing the old gasket and not getting it seated properly which caused me to leak fluid at the master cylinder after about a week of riding. I replaced the gasket myself and topped the fluid off once I discovered the problem because no one cares as much about my bike as I do. I will use a dealer for that which is under recall or a problem under warranty. All else is done by me. If, after the warranty runs out, I have a problem I don't feel competent in tackling, or don't have the tools required, I will rely on a good local indy, and I am fortunate in having two of them nearby.

Old 10-20-2006 | 01:58 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

YIKES, I'd find another dealer. Granted the write stuff and warranty games are widespread throughout most Harley dealers and auto dealerships as well. But the tire pressure issued would be enough to send me elsewhere.

As far as the voltage regulator, it's that UGLY black box on the front of the bike, directly behind the front wheel. In my sig pic, it's the part covered with an oral shaped chrome cover. To me that voltage regulator and it's placement is about as ugly as you can get. That's why the chrome cover was the very first addition I made to my bike. Of course a total chrome regulator would probably be better, but way more $$$, and I'm not totally sure it would look any better. I don't think I've ever seen one actually installed on a Sportster.